Saturday, February 4, 2017

stop comparing and start creating.


I've heard it said that comparison is the biggest thief of joy. This is absolutely true. In the past, I've felt pangs of envy looking through friends travel photos on Facebook....or hearing about someone's job promotion. Suddenly, all of my own personal accomplishments faded into a lackluster shade of grey. All because I compared my life to someone else's.

For the past year or so, one of my biggest priorities has been my path of self discovery. I have opened myself up to new experiences, have learned more about my authentic self,and have achieved a sense of value and inner peace. (Not all the time, mind you, but more often than not.) Despite this, I had not realized that any deep or profound changes had been made. Apart from being happier and more positive, that is! Then something happened.

One of my friends texted me to share her excitement over a new job. It was a big step up and she was downright giddy about the next chapter of her lie. Ordinarily, I would have experienced a combination of elation and misery. The latter because the dreaded comparisons would begin in my head. What about me? When will my career take off? It probably never will. On and on it would go until I would feel completely and totally miserable.

That didn't happen this time. I was happy for her and didn't think to worry or compare. It wasn't until later that night that I even realized my reaction was not typical for me. Somehow, my own sense of joy and purpose had squashed my need to compare. Who knows if it will always be this way....but it was certainly a moment of victory.

xo Shannon

5 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful !!! I would love to see you on my blog !! Happy day!!!
    👌👌👌💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. The dreaded comparisons are horrid. Glad you were able to rise above it! For me, it usually depends where i am in life...but its very easy to compare yourself to everyone, and not at all healthy. I love your honesty in this post and your ability to look inside yourself:)

    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  3. so gorgeous!

    xoxo
    www.its-dash.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you don't have to worry because you are not alone i feel the same way sometimes but i just try to focus on my goals and try to not compare at all. it somehow eases up everything.

    hope you visit my blog dearie and hope we could be friends!

    Ina,
    Nanay Kikay

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I always try not to compare myself to others but sometimes it can be very difficult and hard.
    Have a great week. :) xoxo

    P&P style ♡ ☯ ☮ --- DIY --- fashion --- and more --- ☮ ☯ ♡

    ReplyDelete