Saturday, February 18, 2017

review: cover girl jewels palette


YouTube is a big part of my life. Not only do I create my own beauty related videos but I watch a ton of them as well. When it comes to reviews, there are certain beauty gurus that I trust more than others. One example of a YouTuber I trust is emilynoel83. I have been watching her videos for years, so there is definitely a level of trust there. Which is why I was so disappointed when she gave a not-so-glowing review of the new Cover Girl truNaked Jewels palette.

This was one palette I had my eye on. The bold jewel tones looked spectacular - especially with all of that shimmer! Her review was especially upsetting since Cover Girl's  previous truNaked eyeshadow sets have become some of my all time favourite drugstore offerings. What was a beauty lover to do? Try it for myself? Skip it altogether? Decisions, decisions.

In the past, I have gone against Emily's recommendations only to find her opinion had been spot on....and I was stuck with disappointing makeup. This time? I didn't care. Even knowing I was bound to be let down, that Jewels palette was going to be mine. I was so enamored by the idea of it. that I simply had to know what it was like.


Going in, my expectations were low. Given the fact that Emily had mentioned weak pigmentation and flaky textures, I was preparing for the fall out. Literally. Turns out? There was no need. It was a happy surprise when the shadows were soft, buttery, and highly pigmented. Here is a summary of the palette.

Pros:
- Smooth texture
- Wonderful shade range and variety of finishes
- Simple and travel friendly packaging
- Great pigmentation (the only exception is that Green Amber shade)
- Easy to blend and build up colour
- The shadows have names (many drugstore palettes do not)

Cons:
- Green Amber is not as pigmented as the rest of the shadows
- $12 CDN is a little pricey for a smaller drugstore palette

Overall Rating: 4/5

Want to see the palette in action? Here is a makeup look that I created using the shades Sunstone, Quartz, and Gold.....



Honestly, I am glad that I took the risk on this Cover Girl eyeshadow palette. This is one brand that has really stepped up their gave in terms of both quality and shade selection. I can't wait to see what they will do next!

Have you tried this eyeshadow palette? Do you pay attention to YouTube reviews?

xo Shannon

8 comments:

  1. Interesting review! I've never tried palettes like this, all i own are nude coloured ones!

    Thanks for this Shannon!

    Visit my blog: www.fantailflo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shades are awesome and I love your makeup! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty!
    Have a nice week-end!
    Gil Zetbase

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great entry, I love your blog !!! happy day!!!
    💚💚💚

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not much of a Cover Girl fan but I must admit they did a great job with this palette! For one, you can use it for casual look and you can glam it up for special occasions! Great review!

    - Gretch of GG Memochou

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so beautiful! I have similar palette from Max Factor :)

    ReplyDelete