Saturday, July 16, 2022

current workout favourite: nintendo ring fit adventure


I am not exactly a gamer. Sure, I like to play old-school Nintendo games, arcade style games, and some favourites on the Wii every now and then...but I am rarely seeking out new games to play. To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of free time. When I do have free time, it is often spent writing or reading. Games are not the highest priority on my list. However, fitness is something that I am focused on more than usual these days. In a recent post, I mentioned that I am trying to lose the pandemic pounds that I managed to put on. This something that I have been doing in a few ways: workout DVDs, going for walks, using a food tracking app, and even playing a Nintendo game. The latter was not something that I anticipated. My husband had heard about the Ring Fit Adventure game and decided to purchase it for us. It is a Nintendo Switch game that comes with a Ring Con and Leg Strap. Essentially, you workout with the adventure style game. I wasn't sure that this was something that I would do...but I have been playing it fairly regularly for the last several months. It has definitely made a difference! Want to hear more about this interactive game? Find out whether it has helped me stay motivated? It is time to highlight my current workout favourite: the Nintendo Switch Ring Fit Adventure game. 


Exercise and I have not always been friends. Growing up, I would do anything and everything to avoid being active. I hated sweating, sports, and anything that required excessive amounts of energy. My hobbies were (and still are) reading, writing, watching television, shopping, and entertainment-related activities. Working out? I'd rather not. However, over the years, exercise has become an important part of my life. It is out of necessity rather than desire, but I do my best to find ways I can actually enjoy being active. For me, that usually involves a workout DVD (I especially love anything from Jillian Michaels, Jane Fonda, and Richard Simmons) or a walk with my husband when the weather is nice. These days? I have also been able to add the Ring Fit Adventure game to that list. It is a nice way to mix things up, because it forces me to do a lot of different exercises. 

Essentially, this is a role playing game with exercise thrown into the mix. There is Adventure Mode, where you play through a story line and various levels. Each level involves some running in the spot as you move through the level. There are also a number of different monsters that you battle (by doing workout moves for your arms, legs, and abs) and at the end of each world, there is a "bad guy" named Dragaux that you battle. The more you play, and the more you level up, the more exercise moves you unlock. There are yoga poses and stretches included as well. Something I really like? The game can be customized based on your desired difficulty level. A lower level means there will be fewer reps and a higher level means there will be additional reps to complete. I try to increase my difficulty every week or two, to make sure that I am always pushing myself.

In addition to Adventure Mode, there is also Custom Mode, where you can do any of the workout moves individually. You can also create playlists so you have your own little workout set. For instance, I have playlists with some of the exercise moves I need to work on. (Like mountain climbers and holding plank position.) This allows me to work on those moves outside of the game and really perfect my form. But my favourite thing? Running. In Custom Mode, you can choose to run through the levels without battling the monsters. That means just straight running for the entire time. I have a few playlists where I run, run, and run some more. My favourite workout is when I run through various levels for about 40 minutes. It sounds crazy, but I actually really enjoy it. I like that running through the different levels provides some visual distraction. It also helps me burn a lot of calories! That is another bonus of the Ring Fit Adventure game: it gives you lots of information. It tells you how many calories you burned, tracks your workout time, measures your heartbeat, and ends each session with information about healthy living. 

Though I am not much of a gamer, the Ring Fit Adventure game for the Nintendo Switch has been wonderful. I've really seen an increase in my overall fitness levels and I have felt far more motivated to be consistent. Anything that can make working out a little more fun is wonderful, if you ask me. This game is user friendly and suitable for a variety of fitness levels. I've really enjoyed it and would highly recommend trying out the game for yourself if you are able. 

Have you tried the Ring Fit Adventure game? How do you stay active?

4 comments:

  1. Not tried it but it sounds cool :-D I go walking these days :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun to play! And a good way to stay active! How wonderful that you're making time to go on walks. :D

      Delete
  2. I've got it too even if I don't use it very often!^^
    It's pretty fun anyway, especially to do with friends!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That is wonderful! Yes, it is a lot of fun. I haven't tried it with friends, but that is definitely something that I will look into! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete