Thursday, November 3, 2022

vacation highlights part two (disneyland)


Travel can feel stressful and overwhelming at times...but there are always lots of wonderful memories to look back on. Looking for a dose of magic and wonder? Disney is the perfect place for that. Though my absolute favourite place to be is Walt Disney World, my mom wanted to visit Disneyland after about five years away. So, my parents, my brother, my husband, and I all flew to California for our first international trip since the pandemic. It was a lot. There were way too many people and it was certainly an adjustment, but there were also some good moments. So, on that note, here are some vacation highlights.


Day Four. After a couple of days in Legoland California, my family headed to the iconic Disneyland for five days of theme park goodness. There are two parks there: Disneyland and California Adventure. The first day was spent at Disneyland, where we were immediately greeted with lots and lots of seasonal decorations. There was a giant Mickey Mouse pumpkin inside as well as wreaths, sign posts, and pumpkins poking out of every imaginable surface. Disney really went all out! The crowds were intense (and it only got busier as the week went on) so that meant way too many people, no one wearing masks, and ridiculous wait times for absolutely everything. I did my best and wore my mask, sanitized regularly, and tried to stay away from people when possible. But it was difficult when no one outside of my family seemed to care about safety. Anyway! It was a lot, but I did my best to navigate as safely as possible. We went on as many rides as possible and did a lot of shopping. My brother and I ended up staying in the park until it closed, just so we could get as many rides done as possible. Though I am often exhausted and in bed early at home...my Disney energy kicked in and I was roaming the park until midnight.


Day Five. I'll be honest...this was not a good day. It all started out normally, with rides and delicious food and warm weather. Everything was going according to plan, but in the afternoon, one of my family members had a medical emergency and needed to be admitted to the hospital. Everything felt very uncertain and we weren't sure whether surgery would be involved, if we would have to head home early, and whether travel insurance would cover the visit. Just a stressful and scary experience. Though there were a lot of good moments earlier in the day, all I can remember is the fear and uncertainty. I remember coming back to the hotel and crying. I remember the waiting. I remember the unknowns. It was really difficult. 

Day Six. A miracle occurred and my family member was able to leave the hospital early the next day and was feeling completely normal. No surgery required and no needing to return home. To say I was relieved was a total understatement. We actually headed to the Disneyland park a little later in the morning, even though we were all exhausted and overwhelmed. It allowed me to really appreciate the memories we were making and the time we were all able to spend together. There were rides (with very long wait times), Mickey shaped pretzels, and a sense of normality that meant absolutely everything to me. 

Day Seven. It was our final day at California Adventure. Since our last visit there hit a snag, there was a lot of pressure to get things done in the short amount of time that we had left. Unfortunately, the lines were insane. Since Disneyland has introduced the Genie+ and Lighting Lanes, unless you pay additional money above and beyond your park ticket, the wait times are even longer than before. (There used to be a Fastpass system, where everyone was able to shorten their wait in line for free a few times per day. Now they are charging for that and are holding back the standby line in favour of those with Lightning Lanes. That meant much longer wait times overall, but in some cases, the standby line was shut down completely so the Lightning Lane people could go on the rides. It was extremely frustrating and made an already expensive experience feel even more out of reach. Needless to say, the changes being made in the parks are not something that I support. It really took away the magic.) My brother and I ended up staying until the park closed once again. We were trying to sneak on as many rides as possible, despite the ridiculously long wait times. Thankfully, at the end of the night, we were able to get on the Radiator Springs ride (with an hour plus wait time) and the Guardians of the Galaxy ride with the Halloween overlay. As we left, we were able to see the fireworks show from the Disneyland park. It was a nice way to end an otherwise frustrating day.


Day Eight. Alas...the last day of our vacation. This had been a trip with a lot of ups and downs and we were determined to end it all on a positive note. So, we went on as many rides as possible (again, this didn't amount to all that much, because of the lines and the fact that Fantasyland was closed early for a fireworks show that never happened). We also did some last minute shopping, saw a live show, went to the bakery, and even ate a funnel cake. The last ride that I went on was Peter Pan's Flight, which is my all-time favourite ride. It is so special to me. I had already gone on it once with my dad, and this time, I was able to go on it with my husband as well. Definitely the perfect way to end the trip. Sadly, the rain was pretty bad as the night went on and we weren't able to stay too late. The fireworks show was also cancelled. But we had a good day overall.

Day Nine. This was a travel day. It started early in the morning, and we were home late, thanks to the time change. An exhausting experience, but thankfully, we had a safe flight and all went well. As I look back on this vacation, it makes me a little sad that there are so many mixed emotions associated with it. On one hand, we were able to spend time in a place we love. We were able to go on lots of fun rides and eat delicious food and shop and see beloved characters. On the other hand, we were reminded that life can change quickly and is extremely fragile. I have two goals as I move forward: to remind myself of what matters most and to make memories with the people that I love. Here is hoping I can accomplish both.

Curious about the items that came home with me? Be sure to check out the Theme Park HAUL on my YouTube channel...


Are you a fan of Disney parks? Do you have any vacations or travel plans in the near future?

16 comments:

  1. What a great shots :) thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disney is always such a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had an awesome time at Disneyland.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love Disneyland! I went to Disneyland Paris 3 times and it was really magic every time, cant' wait to go there again!
    And I bet that DisneyWorld is even better!!! Sure you had great time there!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I hope you're able to visit there again soon!

      Delete
  5. That first photo is simply stunning!
    Thank you for sharing your holiday highlights, but I'm sorry to hear about the scary episode with your family member. I'm glad it turned out to be ok! Also hearing you on the crowds and people not seeming to care about safety, which is very frustrating. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a nice view of the castle! Thank you very much for your kind comment <3

      Delete
  6. Oh dear I am glad your family member is okay, how scary for you all! It sounds like there were definitely some highlights and good points to the trip, and they turned out okay in the end thank goodness. it's a shame the lines were so long for the rides though.

    Hope you're having a great start to your weekend.

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was really scary, but I'm extremely relieved that it all worked out okay. <3

      Delete
  7. Thank you =) I love my new stuff too. Today I tested the perfume and it smells so good <3 :D Oh yes the crystal face jewels are really pretty, perfect vor Sylvester.
    This is really incredible, it's such a long time. Thanks for your lovely words <3 It's really nice to read your comments every time. Aw thanks <3

    Very nice post about your Vacation =) I want to travel to Disneyland there too, I only know Disneyland in Paris :D It's nice too but I think California is bigger <3 =) Sometimes ups and downs are in your vacation but in the end the ups are bigger :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been to Disneyland Paris before and it was nice! Disneyland is probably a bit bigger, but I don't think too much bigger. Disney World is massive, though.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that someone got sick on the trip, Shannon:( That always seems to happen....well, for us at least:P But yay that everything else was ok...well, aside from the long waiting in some rides. That's so awesome that you got to go on your fave ride, and that all in all, it was a good trip. I've been to Disneyland with my then- boyfriend (now husband) but TBH, it was so long ago that I barely remember it. Thanks so much for taking us along on your trip through this post:D
    Hope you're having a fab weekend so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you're able to get back there some day so you can relive those Disneyland memories!

      Delete