Saturday, November 27, 2021

i followed harpers bazaar fall 2021 beauty trends for a week

There are always new fashion and beauty trends. Every season, it seems that something new or reimagined comes to the forefront. Though I can appreciate a good trend (and partake every now and again)...I don't tend to base my choices on what is "in" at the moment. If I like something, great. If I don't like something, then I will pass. That being said, recently the Harpers Bazaar article, "The 7 Best Makeup Trends for Fall 2021" was passed along to me and I thought it might make for a fun challenge. Since there were seven makeup trends, it only made sense to try out one trend per day, and share the results here on the creation of beauty is art. Though I tend to wear my makeup in the style that I like best (hello, winged liner and lots of eyeshadow)...it seemed like an interesting way to step out of my comfort zone a little bit. 

Day One: The Kitten Eye. Eyeliner is one of my all-time favourite beauty products, so this first fall trend didn't seem too difficult to accomplish. Though my liner tends to be on the heavier side, it was nice to focus on the kitten eye instead. Essentially, this trend features a smaller flick rather than thicker and bolder winged liner. To create the look, I used the NYX Epic Ink Liner, keeping the line slightly thinner and more subtle than I normally would. There was a neutral shadow all over the lid and a coat of mascara to pull the look together. The end result was simple and classic. 

Day Two: Loaded Lashes. When it comes to lashes, more is more. This fall trend prioritizes ultra long lashes and notes that full lashes will likely be making a comeback as well. Since many of us are still wearing masks when we are out and about...the eyes have become the main focus. That means it is possible to go a little more dramatic on lashes. The article suggested either mascara or false lashes. Since I am more of a mascara girl, it made sense to layer on two full coats of The Super Sizer mascara by Cover Girl. It always delivers on drama. I paired the look-at-me-lashes with a soft shimmery eyeshadow for just the right amount of contrast and smudged a black pencil liner along the upper and lower lash line for a little extra drama. 

Day Three: The Return of Lipstick. The pandemic put an end to an awful lot of beauty trends. Most notably, statement lipstick. But it is back and better than ever, thanks to Zoom calls and intimate social gatherings with friends and family. Since I am still masking up wherever I go...the statement lipstick I chose is one that will stay put with or without a mask. The Too Faced Gingerbread Man Melted Matte Liquified Long Wear Lipstick was an obvious choice. Not only do I love the colour for this time of year, but the formula is stellar. It made a statement and reminded me that it is worthwhile to wear lipstick again.

Day Four: Intense Black Liner. Ahh, a trend that is near and dear to my heart. Maybe it is because I grew up on Avril Lavigne and My Chemical Romance, but black liner just makes my heart sing. I love it. Rarely do I go a day without it. So kicking things up a notch for this trend was oh-so-easy. To create the look, I used a NARS High-Pigment Longwear Eyeliner. And a lot of it. I liner the upper lash line but went extra heavy along the lower lash line to make sure the look was as dramatic as possible. 

Day Five: Graphic Liner. This is a trend that always looks fantastic, but when it comes to those day-to-day looks, I never seem to do. It just seems more appropriate for a night out...but I haven't had a proper night out since before the pandemic began. So, this challenge was a good excuse to step out of my comfort zone and embrace something a little bit different. I used the example of Gigi Hadid that was shared in the article. She had a bright graphic liner look that was concentrated on the inner portion of the eye. To create the look, I used the Hard Candy Liquid Eyeliner in the shade, Yellow It's Me. Then added on a coat of mascara to tie the eye look together. 

Day Six: Glowy, Dewy Skin. Since my skin is dry, when it comes to makeup, dewy is always my preferred look. I love products with glow and I love highlights as well. However, when it comes to this particular fall trend...Harpers Bazaar suggests that this trend be taken just a little bit further. For instance, skipping the traditional foundation and using a tinted moisturizer instead. Since I didn't have a tinted moisturizer on hand, I decided to mix my regular L'Oreal Pro Glow Foundation with moisturizer to create an every glowier finish. On top of that? A dewy highlight. 

Day Seven: Natural Brows. Yikes! Testing out this particular trend was difficult for me. Very difficult. I have always had a complicated relationship with my eyebrows. They are naturally large and bushy....and growing up with large, bushy eyebrows in a time when pencil thin brows were popular was rough. I felt achingly self conscious about them for years. Especially because my grandmother made me promise not to pluck them. (It took me a long time to break that promise.) Now that fuller brows are the norm, it is easier, but my eyebrows still make me feel a little uncertain since they are two completely different shapes. I typically use a brow pencil of some sort to try and even them out. This trend suggested using only a clear brow gel or a brow wax. I chose the latter. Was I pleased with the results? Not really. But hey, at least I tried. 

Some of these fall 2021 beauty trends were more successful than others, but they were all interesting to put to the test. They certainly allowed me to do something a little bit different with my everyday makeup looks. 

What do you think of this list? Will you try any of these fall beauty trends? 

17 comments:

  1. You have great Eyes :) thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I love my new stuff =) The nightgown is really cute, really comfortable <3

    Great and interesting post =) It's really nice to see the Harpers Bazaar Fall Trends =) My favourites would be day 2, 4 and 6 =) But 5 is also nice with the eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to try them out...even though I wasn't keen on all of them! :D

      Delete
    2. You're welcome =) Yes I also think that you had fun :D

      Thanks, I like thos polishes too =) Oh yes "Ace Of Shades" is perfect for winter and christmas <3 =)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful make-ups! And you are also very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear,
    you really did an incredible job doing the trends!
    my favourites would be the kitten liner and also the graphic one!
    Hope you are having a nice day,

    kisses!
    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I love the lipstick in day 3 - such a great colour on you and it's a lovely statement lip! :)

    Hope that you had a great weekend :) We put our Christmas decorations up yesterday :)

    Away From The Blue | Handbag Gift Guide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I absolutely love that lipstick for this time of year. It was nice to put it to use. Oh, how fun that you were able to put up your decorations. I'm sure they look beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful make-ups! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great looks and love the neon yellow :-D

    ReplyDelete