Monday, June 13, 2022

revisited review: the emily edit (the wants + the needs)

Do I spend too much time on YouTube? Absolutely. I shudder to think how many hours, days, and weeks of my life have been spent watching makeup videos, reviews, fashion hauls, and well, a little bit of everything else. YouTube videos are an important part of my days. I like to have something on in the background while I do my makeup or treat myself to a video or two during my lunch break. It is always nice to catch up with my favourite YouTubers. Out of all of them, my favourite is beauty guru is Emily Noel. I have been watching her videos for at least ten years now. I admire her so much, because she doesn't do sponsored content, stays out of drama, and has an incredible knowledge of makeup. Whether she is sharing dollar store, drugstore, or high end beauty recommendations, Emily is always honest and fair. A few years ago, she released The Emily Edit collection with Revolution. It included The Wants Palette and The Needs Palette...and these have been an important part of my makeup life ever since. Today, it is time for a revisited review featuring these drugstore palettes. 

First of all, a disclaimer. As you can see, The Wants Eyeshadow Palette is heavily used and a little less pretty than the brand spanking new version. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a backup for this palette, but I will continue to use this one over and over again in the meantime. As for The Needs Face and Eyeshadow Palette, the one pictured is new, but the one I use day-to-day is not quite as crisp and clean as that one. Spoiler alert: I literally use that palette every single day.

As you can see, there are some really beautiful and wearable colours here. The full eyeshadow palette has a combination of mattes and shimmers, with many different shades of brown, green, purple, and burgundy. There is even a gorgeous deep gold shadow! All of the eyeshadow shades are ideal for those every day looks. There is a lot of colour to choose from, but the colours aren't too bright or over the top. Everything here is so wearable. Whether you are heading to work or have a girls night out planned, there are plenty of suitable eyeshadow shades here. Some of my personal favourites are Prayer (warm matte brown), Pizzazz (sparkly pink), Top Story (warm gold shimmer), and Heartbeat (deep burgundy shimmer). I love that there are light, medium, and dark shades to choose from as well. The Wants Eyeshadow Palette is ultra well-rounded. If you are able to find this palette, be sure to pick it up! It is absolutely worth adding to your makeup collection. 

Now to discuss my holy grail beauty product. The Needs Face and Eyeshadow Palette is an absolute must. I ordered two additional palettes in 2020 and was thrilled to find another one at Winners not too long ago. When I say this is my holy grail beauty product...I mean it! I have backups on backups. The face products in this palette include a bronzer, blush, highlight, and setting powder. It really is a one stop shop kind of set. I have fair skin and find the bronzer works perfectly for me and the blush is one of my all-time favourites. It is so flattering and pairs well with just about any makeup look. The highlight is really pretty and adds such a gorgeous glow to the skin. As for the setting powder, it works really well for me. The eyeshadows are just as impressive. Though I don't tend to use the shades Peace and Love all that often (soft cream blending shades)...there are a few shades in here that are used regularly. In fact, the shade Passion (dark purple shimmer) is one of my all-time favourites. When I am using other eyeshadow palettes, I often go back and add a little bit of Passion along the lower lash line. It is perfection. 


The look above made good use of products from both The Wants Eyeshadow Palette and The Needs Face and Eyeshadow Palette. I used all of the face products from The Needs and made good use of the burgundy shades from The Wants. There was a combination of Good Vibes and Heartbeat on the lid, with Prayer through the crease, Oh Heavens! in the inner corner, and a bit of Cheer to deepen the outer corner. I used an old favourite from Too Faced on the lips and added some liner and mascara to finish off this daytime glam look. It was a lot of fun to create a look using these favourites from the Emily Noel x Revolution collaboration...and to remember the many reasons that I have loved these palettes over the years. 

Were you able to try either The Wants or The Needs palettes? Who is your favourite beauty YouTuber?

10 comments:

  1. Yes I think this year the dresses are not my style :D Well I found a cute dress with flowers two weeks ago and I found a beautiful dress in animal print online (I will post it tomorrow). But that's all I found in so many stores. Thanks a lot =) I love this denim jacket too, pretty perfect for so many outfits =)

    Great review =) This palettes look pretty cute. I love the colours of the eyeshadows especially the green and pink ones <3 And I love the colours from the highlighter =) You're make up look is cute as always =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to find a few cute items! Thank you so much :D

      Delete
  2. Both the palettes look great but I will definitely keep an eye out for The Needs one when I go to Winners! You look great in the FOTD above, Shannon:) It's really awesome to read blogs like yours where I get updated on these things, and the fact that I can go to the shops you go to as well (being Canadian)...double yay! :D
    Have a great day ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it is SO GOOD. If you find it, I highly recommend picking it up. Yes, that's definitely a perk of reading blogs from other Canadians! Thank you so much <3

      Delete