Sunday, December 19, 2021

seasonal book recommendations + holiday favourites video

Books are such an important part of my life. So is Christmas. Put the two together? I am in my glory. There is nothing that I love more at this time of year than a Christmas themed novel. I love reading about different holiday experiences and experiencing an extra dose of seasonal magic. Normally, I try to read (or re-read) at least a handful of Christmas themed books during the month of December. It just makes everything happier! There are some Christmas themed books that stand out more than others and some that I reach for time and time again. This year? I wanted to share some seasonal book recommendations. 


Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. This particular holiday story was mentioned in my recent seasonal favourites post...and for good reason. Sophie Kinsella is one of my favourite authors. She just makes the characters come alive! And the Shopaholic series in particular is a must-read. I always find myself relating to Becky Brandon (formally Bloomwood), even when I shouldn't. From her impulsive shopping habits to her desire to track down the perfect presents for the people she loves, this is a character that is impossible to hate. Becky is relatable, hilarious, and always does her best. "Christmas Shopaholic" illustrates the many demands that the holiday season places on us, but also acts as a reminder that what matters most.

Christmas Sweets by Joanne Fluke, Laura Levine and Leslie Meier.  It is no secret that I love a good murder mystery novel. Especially the cozy mystery genre. Luckily, this Christmas themed book includes three short stories from three fantastic cozy mystery writers. My absolute favourite is Joanne Fluke, but I am also a fan of Laura Levine and Leslie Meier. These short stories are perfect for times when I do not have a lot of room in my schedule for the fun stuff. It means that even if I can only read one short story during the holiday season...I am still able to get a small dose of happiness. Each story is approximately 100 pages, which is definitely doable. Bonus? There are also lots of seasonal recipes scattered throughout. 


Coming Home for Christmas by Julia Williams. This is a Christmas themed book that I found for a good price a few years ago. I was instantly intrigued by the adorable winter scene and the glittering text. (They say you can't judge a book by its cover...but sometimes you can!) This story focuses on three different characters, experiencing three very different kinds of Christmases. From busy schedules to difficult relationships, there is a lot to navigate here, but Julia Williams presents the story in a manner that is compelling and enjoyable to read. It is an absolute must for the holiday season. 

The Christmas Town by Donna VanLiere. I bought this book several years ago, simply because I was looking for something festive to read. The title and the cover sold me. Since then, I have read this book many times. "The Christmas Town," is a heartwarming story that always makes me shed a few tears. It is all about good will, small acts of kindness, and finding family where you least expect it. The main character, Lauren Gabriel, easily pulls you into her world. The book is so well-written that even heavier handed moments feel effortless. If you are a true blue fan of the holidays, you will love this book.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. Certain Christmas movies are standouts. For me, "Christmas With the Kranks" is an obvious standout. It has become a tradition, where my mom and I watch the movie together a few days before Christmas. (I like to wear my festive vest, to channel my inner Nora Krank.) The book, "Skipping Christmas," is what the movie is based off and they are extremely similar. I love being able to read the book version of the movie that I love so very much. It really is a wonderful story that highlights the importance of coming together during the holiday season.

There is something special about this time of year...which is probably why I seem to have so many seasonal favourites. Be sure to check out my latest YouTube video to see some holiday favourites, including beauty, decor, and yes, Christmas books.  


Do you have any seasonal book recommendations? Any holiday favourites? Share them in the comment section below!

18 comments:

  1. Very nice recommendations! I find this season very special as well :)
    kisses dear!

    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are really wonderful! Hopefully you will have a chance to read one of them :D

      Delete
  3. Yes there are many nice items in all the calendars =) I love the nail polishes, they're so pretty. That bright pink is really lovely =) Yes I will enjoy the food <3 :D

    Nice post =) I don't read that much but this books sound all interesting. I like your holiday favourites video, this lipstick has a beautiful colour <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love holiday everything...books, lipstick, movies...everything! <3

      Delete
  4. Looks very good collection, would love to know more about it.
    New post on My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was today's year old when I found out John Grisham has a Christmas book and that the movie Christmas with the Kranks is based on it! Thanks for sharing, Shannon:) And OMG! I love your Ralphie scrunchie! "You're gonna shoot your eye out..." Love that movie so much too:) You are just too adorable with your love for Christmas. Happy holidays to you and your loved ones:) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Well, I am very happy that I could let you know all about it. Thank you! The scrunchie is the cutest thing. I will never be able to watch "A Christmas Story" enough. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, too!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for recommend dear!
    HAPPY WEEK
    xoxo
    https://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These books are very interesting. I'll read at least one of them. Like your holiday favourites.

    Fashionista 2020

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice recommendations! I think some of them will end up in my basket to give to my friends for holidays

    ReplyDelete