Wednesday, July 26, 2017

music week: celebrity makeup face off


Every once and a while, two of my passions collide. That is exactly what happens when musicians release (or put their names on) lines of makeup. Sometimes, these collaborations are super successful and other times, they are only so-so. Since we are halfway through music week here on the creation of beauty is art. it only made sense to focus on music and makeup.

There are a handful of music-related products floating around my collection. The most recent example comes from Katy Perry's line with Cover Girl. (You can check out a review of that here.) Today, I wanted to discuss and rank a few other noteworthy examples. They include offerings from Demi Lovato, Fergie, One Direction, and Jem and the Holograms. Here I'll be ranking them from the best to....not the best.
  1. Jem and the Holograms Truly Outrageous Eyeshadow Palette. Topping the list is the fabulous palette inspired by the 80s classic music cartoon, Jem and the Holograms. (I actually filmed a tutorial using the palette a while back!) There is a great variety of shades included in the set, from neutral to bold and bright, the pigmentation is fantastic, and the texture is buttery and soft. They are easy to blend and have great staying power. This remains one of my all-time favourite eyeshadow palettes.
  2. Lovatics by Demi Eyeshadow Palette. This wasn't an eyeshadow palette that I was expecting to love. It was super cheap and I hadn't read any reviews on it before purchasing. Honestly, the only reason I picked it up was because I am a big fan of Demi Lovato. Turns out? This palette is phenomenal. The shadows are extremely pigmented, soft, and long-lasting. The colours are beautiful and there is a great shade selection. Literally the only downside is the cheap packaging. Overall, this is a must-have.
  3. Fergie Photo Focus Eyeshadow Quad. I have quite a few products from Fergie's Wet n Wild collection, including nail polish and eyeshadows. Out of all of it, this Photo Focus quad is my favourite. Though it is number three on this list, it is a stellar product. There is an orange-red eyeshadow shade that is so unique for the drugstore. The warm tones are stunning and the browns are super easy to wear. This is a great summertime set. 
  4. Makeup By One Direction Midnight Memories Collection. Well, I didn't buy this thinking it would be full of fantastic products. The tin had a cute picture of One Direction on it and I thought, what the heck. I have a smaller 1D makeup set as well - and even some coloured mascaras - but this one is my favourite of their beauty-related offerings. It includes a jumbo eyeliner pencil (works well but is too big to really get a precise line), a pretty maroon lipstick, a glittery pink lip gloss (which is lovely but sticky), a nail polish, and an eyeshadow set. The eyeshadow shades are beautiful....but they have a glitter top coat. Which means after you use them once, there is no glitter finish whatsoever. Such a letdown! It is a good set but it could have been a whole lot better. 
These are just a few of the music inspired makeup in my collection. Though some products are fantastic and some are so-so....each one has a special place in my heart. 

Do you own any celebrity makeup? Have you tried any of these products?

xo Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Great makeup color palette, and I love 1D too!

    Madame X
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post https://bysinkj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved make, it was beautiful.
    Kisses, good weekend
    bellapagina.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete