Monday, March 6, 2023

rank and review: richard simmons blast off series

Working from home has a lot of perks. The biggest advantage? Sweatpants. I live in sweats most of the time these days. Though fashion is always fun...I love being comfortable while I write, type, and create. The biggest drawback of working from home? Needing to fit a workout into my schedule. I need to be a lot more intentional when it comes to exercise these days. A lot of times, the Ring Fit Adventure Game from Nintendo Switch is my chosen activity. Other times? It is a good old fashioned workout video. If you've been reading my blog or watching my YouTube channel for a while, it is no surprise that workout videos remain a must for me. I love being able to workout in the privacy of my home. Oh, and I especially love aerobics classes from fitness icons like Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons. Speaking of the latter...it is time for another rank and review post here on the creation of beauty is art. This time, the focus is on the Richard Simmons Blast Off series of videos. 


8th Place: Latin Blast Off 

There are eight total Blast Off videos in the Richard Simmons catalogue. Essentially, these are shorter videos (between 20-40 minutes) as opposed to his other releases, which are typically about an hour in length. Each of the Blast Off videos are distinct and some focus on different musical genres. Coming in at number eight was the Latin Blast Off video. This video was 40 minutes, with 30 minutes dedicated to aerobics and 10 minutes dedicated to toning. I like that there is both aerobics and toning included and I like that Shake Your Bon Bon is one of the songs in the video. I also like that there is a separate set for the aerobics portion. That being said, this is my least favourite in the series. I think this comes down to my lack of dancing skills more than anything else. I found the moves difficult to keep up with and struggled through a lot of the aerobics. 

7th Place: Mega Mix Blast Off

Next in this rank and review is the Mega Mix Blast Off video. Though there were some good songs included in this video (like If I Could Turn Back Time and Macarena)...something didn't quite click for me. This video didn't feel as cohesive as some of the others. Also, it was a little better suited to dancers thanks to the choreography and the transitions from one move to the next. I fully admit that I am not a dancer and have no rhythm at all. That is probably what I like most about aerobics classes. There is a certain amount of repetition that makes it possible for me to pick up the moves and work up a sweat. Even though I am no dancer! Something that I do enjoy about this video is the toning portion at the end. Again, there was 30 minutes of aerobics and 10 minutes of toning with wrist weights. I like that the workout feels well rounded, even if this video is not my favourite.

6th Place: Broadway Blast Off

The next Blast Off video on the Richard Simmons list is Broadway Blast Off. This is a fun one and would definitely be enjoyed by anyone that is into show tunes. If not, this likely would not be your cup of tea. This particular video has lots of classic Richard Simmons moves as well as some well known Broadway inspired moves. (Razzle dazzle, anyone?) With recognizable songs like Hello Dolly and Climb Every Mountain, it is possible to live out those theatre kid dreams. Instead of in a studio, this video was filmed at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. There was lots to look at with a massive stage, dancers of all ages, and even a few familiar faces from other videos. Some of the transitions were challenging, but it was possible to pick up the choreography after doing the video a few times. Overall, I would say this video is medium intensity. You will work up a sweat but will still be able to function later. At 30 minutes, this video can be incorporated into your day with ease. 

5th Place: Blast and Tone

Slightly different to the other videos on this list is the Blast and Tone workout. This is one that I have done many, many, many times over the last little while. There is an aerobics style warm up and then there are different sections: endurance with lighter weights and strength with heavier weights. There is also an abs focused section of the video at the end as well as a cool down. It is an all over workout that comes in at just under 30 minutes. This is ideal for the days that I need to focus on working with weights, but still want something that is well rounded and fun. I tend to prefer cardio based workouts, which is why the Blast and Tone video is such a must for me. It is a way to incorporate toning without missing out on the infectious energy that Richard Simmons has to offer. His joy makes the workout so much easier to get through...even when my muscles are sore. 

4th Place: Disco Blast Off

A standout on this list is the Disco Blast Off. Honestly, I wasn't too sure how I would feel about this one because I found the Disco Sweat workout didn't click with me as much as some others. Thankfully, this Blast Off version was a winner. It was so much fun. There were lots of disco inspired moves, a disco ball hanging from the ceiling, and a fantastic soundtrack. I'm talking YMCA good. Some of the moves and transitions were a bit fast, but the workout itself felt manageable. There was also a ballet inspired cool down at the end that I really enjoyed. Plus, there was some upper body toning with weighted wrist weights. This video was 40 minutes, with the first 30 minutes dedicated to those disco grooves and the last 10 minutes dedicated to a bit of toning. This is a video that never fails to boost my mood and is a must on days that I need a little pick me up. 

3rd Place: 60s Blast Off

Looks like I love sweating to the oldies. The 60s Blast Off video was an absolute delight from start to finish. It was 30 minutes in total and focused on lots and lots of aerobics. The music was great and the workout made me breathless - in a good way! This video was a challenge and it felt like I got a good workout in. At the same time, the actual steps were fairly easy to follow. This was the perfect balance. Something I could do without fumbling around but still made me feel like I was making good use of my workout time. Richard Simmons is extraordinarily energetic and fun, but this video was on a whole other level. It is a standout in his overall body of work and certainly a standout in the Blast Off collection itself.

2nd Place: 80s Blast Off

Who doesn't love a good 80s inspired workout? It is impossible not to fall in love with 80s Blast Off. It is so much fun! This particular video is about 30 minutes and focused on all aerobics. The music was fantastic (Maniac was a high point for both the intensity, choreography, and the song itself) and this provided a really solid workout. The video was high energy and high pace, but it still felt manageable. The steps weren't too complicated and there was enough repetition that it was possible to get the hang of the various routines fairly quickly. There was also a great cool down. Bonus? Richard was extra energetic and loving.

1st Place: Blast Off

Sometimes, you can't beat the original. The Blast Off video is one that I have turned to time and time again. Why? It is only 20 minutes. On days where life feels a little too full and a little too busy...it is nice to have a short workout on hand. It is important for me to be consistent with my workouts, so 20 minutes is always better than nothing. Plus, this workout is really fun to do. I love the music because there are empowering messages and uplifting lyrics. Plus, Richard Simmons shares lots of positive words and encouragement throughout. It feels like you are doing the workout with a friend rather than being alone. There is a warm up and cool down included in this 20 minute video, so even when time is short, it is possible to enjoy a well rounded and efficient workout. This is a video that I use whenever I am feeling a bit sore, a bit down, or a little tight on time. 

Have you tried any of these Richard Simmons Blast Off videos? How are you staying active?

14 comments:

  1. Oh this is my first time reading about this set of videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, really? Well, I'm glad I could introduce them to you!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so awesome! I've done his workout video too:) I can't remember which one though. I think it's the original Sweating to the Oldies. I know some people think he's cringey but I liked doing his workout:) I also was obsessed with one Jane Fonda VHS tape I had, and I think even a Kathy Smith one. I love that you use the Nintendo DS to workout. That's awesome:)
    Anyhoo, hope you're having a great Monday, Shannon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so much fun! The Sweatin to the Oldies videos are a blast! I like that he isn't afraid to be over the top. People so often dull their sparkle in order to fit in. Richard Simmons just shone! Ooh I love Jane Fonda workouts as well. I've never done a Kathy Smith one before!

      Delete
  3. I crossed my fingers too :D Now it has to work. I want to drink some beer on my balcony ^^
    Absolutely fabublous =) All products had a discount and they're so yummie. Thanks I hope you have a wonderful week too =)

    Very interesting post =) I don't know him but it sounds super cool. I'm staying active with home workouts from Pamela Reif and at the gym :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her workouts as well! They are fun but challenging!

      Delete
  4. I have never tried any of these but they look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get you in preferring to workout in the privacy of your home!
    Oh, and is it really bad of me that I hadn't heard of the Richard Simmons Blast Off series? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much better! I don't need anyone to see my lack of coordination!

      Delete
  6. This is so random and so cool!!! I'd love watching and joining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun! There are a bunch of his workouts uploaded on YouTube, if you're interested!

      Delete
  7. Very interesting post.

    www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete