Tuesday, May 26, 2020

rank + review: richard simmons sweatin' to the oldies workouts


Workout videos? Well, needless to say they are an integral part of my day-to-day life. Though there are days when a gym session is in order...most of the time it is just me and my television. There is such comfort in working out at home. (Though I realize not everyone feels this way!) Personally, I love it because I don't have to travel anywhere and I don't have to feel intimidated by all of the fitness buffs hanging out at the squat racks. Do you love working out at home? Or did you get more comfortable with the idea during quarantine? Then workout videos are certainly something to consider. There are an awful lot of videos out there, which means it is always possible to find something that is effective and fun. More recently, I fell in love with Richard Simmons videos. His YouTube account started uploading ten minute workout segments. That led me down the rabbit hole. A few days later, my husband ordered me the 30th Anniversary Edition of Sweatin' To The Oldies. No wonder my life lately has involved an awful lot of classic songs, sparkly tank tops, and motivation. The DVD set included all five videos in the Sweatin' To The Oldies collection so there was lots of variety. Ready to see how they perform? Find out which videos are the most effective? Here are all of the workout videos, reviewed and ranked.

What Was Included In The Set: Okay, before the ranking and reviewing takes place....here is what was actually included in the 30th Anniversary Set. (This was ordered on Amazon but can be found many places online. Or alternatively, a couple of the workouts are available on YouTube as of now.) The collection includes: Sweatin' To The Oldies 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 as well as a 6th disc with motivational information for weight loss. Additionally, each disc contains a lot of bonus content. There is a mini biography of Richard Simmons along with interviews, catch up sessions with dancers from the Sweatin' videos, testimonials, and even old commercials. To round it all off, the DVD also has a booklet of photos. If you are a fan of Richard Simmons, this is certainly a worthwhile addition to your at home workout collection. For someone just getting familiar with his work, this was a great way for me to learn more and dip my toes in the water.


5th Place: Sweatin' To The Oldies

An oldie but a goodie. The classic workout that started it all! Once I had the DVD set at home, I made the decision to work through the videos in order. That meant starting with the original Sweatin' To The Oldies. Though it is a good workout and I can definitely see why it became so popular...it is actually my least favourite of the bunch. The songs are great and the idea of doing an aerobic concert was genius. As was the setting of a high school prom. It is especially thrilling when you consider the fact that most workout videos back then and now are set in a gym environment. Immediately, this differentiates itself. It makes clear that this is not just a workout. It is an experience. It is entertainment! Sweatin' To The Oldies was a lot of fun. Also, the choreography wasn't overly complicated (which is a good thing because I am not exactly a dancer). The only reason this is ranked last of the five workouts is because of the production value. There are a lot of late 80s video effects, which look cool, but make it hard to follow the routines at certain points. However, this video set the stage for all of the workouts to come.

4th Place: Sweatin' To The Oldies 5

On the surface, this version of Sweatin' To The Oldies has a lot of similarities to the others. There is an elaborate set (this one is filmed on a "street" with park benches, trees, stores, and home fronts) with lots of dancers backing up Mr Simmons himself. However, there are two notable differences. The first is the release date. This version was released in the 2000s rather than the 80s and 90s. The second major difference is the fact that there is no live band. All of the other versions had a stage with live performers visible. This time, they are sadly absent. Though it was good to see a couple of familiar faces from previous Richard Simmons workout videos, and Richard himself was ultra encouraging and motivational....this workout video just isn't my all-time favourite. That being said, he has such an infectious and positive energy that it is impossible to do this workout and not smile or leave feeling better about yourself! It certainly is worth trying.

3rd Place: Sweatin' To The Oldies 4

When a workout video begins with a full gospel choir on the dance floor...you know you are in for a good time. This installment of the Sweatin' series is set in a sock hop and even has a black and white introduction from Richard. Though the set itself isn't nearly as elaborate as some of the others (opting for a simple stage with a music inspired backdrop) the workout is easily the most intense of the five. There is a lot more jumping, turning, kicking, and lifting than any of the Sweatin' To The Oldies videos that came before or after. In fact, there are even can-can kicks! As for the song choices, they were all really energetic and made the workout a lot more fun to do. This video also had a shorter warm up time and a higher intensity level overall. Basically, on days that I am looking for an intense cardio workout that will challenge me but still make me feel good...this is the video I reach for. It is fun, effective, and will really make you work up a sweat. 


2nd Place: Sweatin' To The Oldies 2

Another favourite is Sweatin' To The Oldies number two. This video is a lot of fun and takes the elements of the first video that worked...and kicks it up a notch! It is set in a 50s style diner called Pop's. It is so perfectly themed! There is an Elvis impersonator and during one portion, soda bottles are used in place of weights. Again, this is a real production and the entertainment value is there. It is a fun workout experience overall. The songs on this particular video are fantastic and it is a real workout for the upper body. There are a lot of arm movements throughout in addition to a weighted aerobic arm workout portion. If that wasn't enough, this version also includes an ab workout (to oldies music, of course) and some floor work for the legs. Not to mention lots of stretching to help you cool down. Thanks to the inclusion of the weights, ab work, and floor work, this feels a little more well rounded than some of the other videos available in the collection. It is good for days when you want more of a full body workout rather than just aerobics. It definitely makes you work up a good sweat and it is a lot of fun, too.

1st Place: Sweatin' To The Oldies 3 

There is no doubt about it. Topping my list of Sweatin' To The Oldies workouts is the third installment. It has absolutely everything a workout video junkie like me could need. For starters, it is set in a theme park and has a fully working Ferris Wheel spinning in the background. It is a spectacle in the best possible way - and really adds to the fun atmosphere. The songs on this specific video are especially wonderful. There is a fabulous mixture of beach tunes and milkshake melodies. (My personal favourite song to dance to is Rockin' Robin. It makes me feel like I have gone back to a simpler time!) This is also a higher intensity than some of the other workouts included in this set...and yet it doesn't feel like it. There is so much to look at and enjoy that I find myself getting lost in the moment rather than counting down the minutes until my workout is complete. This is a joy to do and makes me excited to workout and move my body. It has quickly become one of my all time favourite workout DVDs. I know this will be one that I return to time and time again.

So there you have it! All of the Richard Simmons Sweatin' To The Oldies DVDs ranked and reviewed. If you are looking for a fun and nostalgic way to work up a sweat this season...any of these videos will be worth your while.

Have you done any of these workout DVDs? How are you staying active?

16 comments:

  1. Hello dear, I like the idea of being able to train at home because it adapts to a flexible schedule, I also train with a YouTube channel sometimes they are routines of 15 or 10 minutes that make me sweat too much, this routine of Richard Simmons is It looks wonderful, one of those that motivate you to go for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! It is such an advantage to be able to workout at home. It is wonderful that you've found routines that are effective and accessible!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of him! Sounds like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun! I love anything that makes exercise an enjoyable experience.

      Delete
  3. Great post! ✔️✔️✔️ Thanks for sharing! 🌈🌈🌈

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon,
    Thanks for the post, I'm one of those people lazy to do physical activities, but I prefer that basic walk from 1h to 2h and exercise at home. And this post is really cool for that purpose :)

    XoXo
    - Helena Primeira
    - Helena Primeira Youtube
    - Primeira Panos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is a great way to stay active - and there are so many benefits to working out at home! :)

      Delete
  5. So fun, I love working out at home☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi dear! I confess that I also started taking home lessons from youtube and I discovered Leslie Sansone's and I have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! I'm glad you've been able to do that and have found workouts you love!

      Delete
  7. It sounds fun. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I know that this is an older article but, I went looking for this EXACT information and you actually wrote a whole article. I love Richard Simmons and I'm trying to decide on which episode to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad it was helpful! Richard Simmons is wonderful and I love his videos!

      Delete