Saturday, December 17, 2022

rank and review: classic rankin/bass christmas specials

Rankin/Bass are an important part of the holiday season. In fact, their specials have become some of the most popular of all time. After all, it just wouldn't be Christmas without watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at least once! As someone who adores this time of year - and all of the seasonal specials that come along with it - there is nothing more thrilling than sitting down to do a Rankin/Bass themed rank and review. According to an article from Paste Magazine, there are nineteen Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. It is time to find out where those specials fall on my personal rank list. 

19. The Little Drummer Boy: Book Two

Starting off with the "worst" special is The Little Drummer Boy: Book Two. Being fully transparent, this was not a special that I had seen before the idea for this post popped into my head. I thought I knew (and owned) all of them, but this one alluded me. Perhaps because it was not part of my childhood, this did not connect with me in the same way as many of the others on this list. Whatever the reason, it is not my favourite, though there are some nice moments and that classic animation style.

18. Nester the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey

There are Rankin/Bass specials that I watch multiple times each year...and then there are ones that I have only seen a handful of times. Nester the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey falls into the later category. Though the donkey character is oh-so-cute, there is something about this special that did not resonate with me all that much. It checks off all of the boxes, yet somehow, it failed to leave a lasting impression. Somehow, it seems to be missing that special holiday magic. 

17. The First Christmas: The Story of the First Christmas Snow

This is another entry that was not part of my childhood. I finally saw it a few years back (because I love holiday specials and try to watch as many of them as possible). It has the vocal talents of the iconic Angela Lansbury, but it still failed to leave much of an impression. The story is heartwarming and meaningful, but it does not feel like Christmas to me. I know that it is special to a lot of other holiday enthusiasts....but it lands at number seventeen on this rank and review list. 

16. The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold 

Though there are many Rankin/Bass Christmas specials that stand out, this next entry on the list is not exactly well known or beloved. The Leprechaun's Christmas Gold is an enjoyable watch, but isn't an over the top holiday extravaganza. The plot is far fetched, but oh, how I adore the animation. The fairy character is so stunning, I can't even deal with it. Though this is not a favourite of mine, it certainly has its merits. Plus, the songs are absolutely fabulous. 

15. Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July

This is a special that I always really want to love. It has so much going for it! After all, there is Rudolph, Frosty, and Frosty's wife, Crystal. I also love the whole Christmas in July idea. Though there are some really good elements and it is something that I have watched many times...it is not one of my all-time favourites. These classic characters are better suited to other Rankin/Bass Christmas specials. That being said, Winterbolt is a pretty solid villain and stands out. 

14. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

I always love a good origin story. Unfortunately, the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus is not one that I adore. This animated special looks back at the origins of Santa Claus and explains some of the traditions...and there are certain portions of the movie that I really love towards the end. This is just my preference, I suppose, but I definitely prefer seeing Santa in action, delivering toys and eating cookies, rather than proving his worth to a collection of immortal beings. 

13. The Little Drummer Boy

Unlike the sequel, this is a Rankin/Bass special that I have seen many times over the years. It isn't one that I watch over and over again (or even every year) but it a special that I appreciate. The Little Drummer Boy is dark and dreary at points, but ultimately, it focuses on hope and the ability to feel love in a cruel world. There is something special about that message. 

12. Santa, Baby!

This special is actually new to me this year. I only found out about it because of the Paste Magazine listing and was luckily able to watch it all on YouTube. Santa, Baby! was made in 2001, which was well after the Rankin/Bass animation studio shut down. This was an absolute delight. The music was so incredible and featured Vanessa Williams, Eartha Kitt, and Patti LaBelle, to name a few. Though this special is still new to me, it is one that I can see becoming a staple in my holiday celebration. 


11. Rudolph's Shiny New Year 

Though this special is nowhere near as well known as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, it is another Rankin/Bass special that features the iconic character. In this offering, Rudolph needs to find the Baby New Year. There are lots of random characters thrown into the mix, but despite the somewhat chaotic storytelling, this is a special that I really enjoy. It is the perfect special to watch in between Christmas and New Years. For some reason, it makes me feel like the holiday season is not quite over yet. 

10. Jack Frost

This list just wouldn't be complete without Jack Frost! I remember watching this special for the first time several years back, when it was included on a Christmas compilation DVD that I found. I remember being surprised at the time that I hadn't seen it before. Jack Frost is a story about love and longing. There are some really moving scenes that seem to stay with you long after watching. The characters are compelling and the fairy tale inspired story is one to remember. 

9. Cricket on the Hearth

Being honest, Cricket on the Hearth is kind of a sad holiday special at times. It was inspired by a Charles Dickens story and it features a toymaker, his blind daughter, and her lost-at-sea fiancé. If it sounds like a lot, that's because it is! This is certainly less jolly than many other offerings on this Rankin/Bass list. However, it is also really well done. There are some great songs and I love Marlo Thomas. She really brings the character of Bertha to life. I also love the cricket character. So cute!

8. Pinocchio's Christmas 

Maybe I just have a love for all things Pinocchio (thanks to my Disney obsession) but this is a holiday special that I love. Pinocchio's Christmas focuses on Pinocchio's desire to find a special present for Geppetto. Of course, Pinocchio being Pinocchio, all sorts of adventures are had. There is a fabulous scene with a marionette dancing and a lot of memorable moments overall. The special is about learning from mistakes, becoming a better person, and loving others. 

7. The Stingiest Man In Town

Though there are about a million versions of A Christmas Carol out there (maybe one day I will do a rank and review of a few of them)...The Stingiest Man In Town is one of my favourites. I love all of the music, the animation style, and the character development. This story is familiar, of course, but Rankin/Bass managed to breathe new life into its telling. Even all these years later, The Stingiest Man In Town continues to feel like a fresh take on an old classic. 


6. Frosty's Winter Wonderland

Confession: I am obsessed with Crystal, Frosty's snow wife. I love the way she says the word, "wedding" in the special and her infectious joy. Truth be told, there are many different Crystal ornaments on my Christmas tree. I just love her! It warms my heart when Frosty and Crystal fall in love and have their very own wedding. Frosty's Winter Wonderland is a lovely sequel to the original special and features a lot of the same voice talents. There is something indescribably magical about this Rankin/Bass Christmas cartoon. It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  

5. Frosty the Snowman 

Narrowly beating out the sequel is the original special, Frosty the Snowman. (Honestly, it was a toss up. The original is a classic, but Crystal is everything!) The music is so special and I have vivid memories of watching Frosty the Snowman on VHS as a child. I would watch it, rewind the tape, and watch it again. Over and over! I just could not get enough of that magical snowman that came to life. There is no denying the impact that this song and character has had on the holiday season. Rankin/Bass really hit it out of the park with this particular Christmas special. It is a classic for a reason. 

4. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town

Oh, how I adore this Rankin/Bass Christmas special. One year, my obsession with this special was out of control and I watched it at least 30 times during the month of December. In my defense, there is so much to love about Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town. The characters are incredible, the animation is top notch, and the music is everything. I actually quote lyrics from the song, "Put One Foot in Front of the Other," throughout the year. It helps me to keep going even when things feel tough. The song is a reminder that you don't have to have it all figured out. Just take it one step at a time and before you know it, you will have accomplished your goals. As for standout characters? The Winter Warlock, Topper, and Jessica are all standouts. 

3. The Year Without a Santa Claus 

This is another example of an iconic Rankin/Bass Christmas special. The Year Without a Santa Claus is another movie that has been watched countless times in my home. I just love it! One of my favourite songs is, "I Believe In Santa Claus." It is so moving and beautiful. Then there is the Snow Miser to consider. (Team Snow Miser!) The characters are fantastic, the plot is unique and unexpected, and the voice talents cannot be beat. The themes are also relatable. Everyone knows what it feels like to be underappreciated or to feel unimportant at times. Sometimes, it just takes a little love to remind you how much you matter. 

2. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Though it may be a shock to see this beloved special in the number two spot, it was inched out by my all-time favourite Rankin/Bass Christmas special. However, there is no denying the cultural impact that Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer has had...or how fun it is to watch. The songs are iconic, the characters are cherished, and the special feels like the Christmas season all wrapped up in a shiny red bow. My favourite character is Hermey and has been since I was a child. I loved his swoopy blonde hair and the fact that he didn't try to conform to societal roles. Hermey may have been a misfit, but his uniqueness was a blessing to all. I think that is why Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer continues to delight and inspire audiences so many years later. Everyone can relate to the themes and the characters of our "misfits," Rudolph and Hermey. Our differences and individual gifts are the most beautiful things we have to offer the world. 

1. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas 

I am aware that this is a controversial opinion, but the absolute best Rankin/Bass Christmas special has to be 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. It makes me ridiculously happy. This animated special is about a family of humans and a family of mice. It has to do with returned letters to Santa Claus and a special clock. This movie explores how the actions of one individual can have broader impacts to the community. It also stresses the importance of righting wrongs and taking accountability for mistakes. This message is especially important given the way the world is lately. The song, "Even a Miracle Needs a Hand," has such a lovely message and fills my heart with hope. Though there are many incredible Rankin/Bass specials out there for various holidays, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas will always have a meaningful place in my heart. 

There you have it...my ranked and reviewed list. Don't agree with the order of the Rankin and Bass specials on this rank and review post? That's okay! Be sure to share your own list (or a few of your favourites) in the comment section below. 

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Really?! I'm so surprised. I thought almost everyone had at least seen Rudolph! Well, there are lots that I would recommend <3

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've seen any of these either! They did have the Rudolph movie in 4d showing at the theme park the other night when we went for the Christmas event but we ran out of time to watch it - maybe next year I'll get to see it, haha!

    Hope you are having a nice weekend :)

    www.awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! The Rankin/Bass cartoons are so so so popular where I live. I guess not everywhere! I would definitely recommend at least watching Rudolph, since it is such a classic.

      Delete
  3. Is it ignorant of me that I haven't seen any of these? No, not even Rudolph, at least not completely, I do think I've seen some snippets ... Sorry :-( xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Well, maybe you will be able to see some of them another year!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes I love the products =) Just the Curry products are not my favourites :D I love the nail polishes, they're all so pretty.

    Nice post =) I don't know the most of them but I love Christmas movies / series. Rudolph is pretty cute but I only know one movie and I don't know which one :D Oh we watched Frosty the Snowman in School (in our English class).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frosty the Snowman is definitely a great one! I'm glad you were able to see it!

      Delete
  5. I love Christmas movies and cartoons, but I haven't seen any of these either. I promise to watch them, if I ever come across any of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! A lot of them are on YouTube to watch, if that helps!

      Delete
  6. I thought I knew a lot of Christmas movies, but these are all unknown to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! It is always fun to discover new holiday movies. I am always on the hunt :)

      Delete