Saturday, September 3, 2022

revisited television obsession: hidden palms

It was the spring and summer of 2007. For one night a week, my life revolved around the latest CW television show, Hidden Palms. It was love at first watch. I mean, total obsession. After watching the pilot episode for the first time, I knew this was a show that I would want to watch again and again. So, I recorded the episodes onto VHS. After all, there was Taylor Handley, Amber Heard, and Gail O'Grady. The cast was stellar and the premise was right up my alley. The show focused on a group of teenagers and their families...but it had a mystery element to it as well. There were plenty of secrets and scandals to uncover in Palm Springs. Unfortunately, the series only lasted for eight episodes and was cancelled due to low ratings. The truth? There are many shows I have loved over the years that did not have a lengthy run time. However, each left a lasting impression. Hidden Palms is proof of that. Fifteen years later, my obsession has been rekindled once more. 

My obsession with Hidden Palms is not exactly a secret. I have rewatched the show many times over the years, both from my VHS copies and YouTube. (The entire series can be watched on YouTube here if you are interested in revisiting this 00s gem.) I reference the show in conversations and my entire family has heard about it time and time again. Bonus? Back in 2007, every iTunes playlist and CD mix included songs from the Hidden Palms soundtrack, like The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice and of course, the theme song, Blind by MegaBass. This show was and continued to be an important part of my life. 

So, why this post? Well, after reading the Hidden Palms Wikipedia page randomly one day, I noticed that it stated the following: "In the US, there are currently no plans to release Hidden Palms on DVD and/or Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment, but in the Netherlands, the entire series was released on DVD by RCV Entertainment." I had never thought to look for a DVD copy of the series, because I assumed it did not exist anywhere given the ultra short episode run. But it did! Just not in North America. I recently tracked down a copy from the Netherlands on Amazon. Though the text on the DVD box is not in English, the actual show is in English. All you have to do is turn off the Dutch subtitles! Since this is one of my all-time favourite television shows, that is a minor inconvenience. I am thrilled to be able to watch the show again and again.


Since receiving the Hidden Palms DVD in the mail, my obsession has been fully renewed. I am rewatching (and rewatching and rewatching) the series. I vividly remember the summer that I saved HD photos of Taylor Handley late into the night. I am remembering songs that made me feel absolutely everything. I am remembering how much this show meant to me. How much it still means. I suppose everyone has those television shows or movies that stand out in their minds. Those pieces of entertainment that feel comfortable, special, and important. Hidden Palms is that kind of show for me. Though it may be forgotten by many, it is a significant part of my history. It is entertaining, sure, but it also struck a chord with me in a way that other shows never could. Hidden Palms has it all: a great cast, a great premise, and a mystery worth unravelling. 

I suppose this post is an homage to a show that stayed with me. It also is a reminder to anyone reading that it is worthwhile check out Hidden Palms. Though many years have passed, it is still a show that matters. There are complex characters and honest storylines...not to mention lots of twists and turns. In my opinion, Hidden Palms is an absolute must-watch. 

Did you watch Hidden Palms when it first aired? Is it something that you would watch in future?

15 comments:

  1. Oh yes I can't wait too. It's also my favourite time of the year <3 Love all the christmas stuff. Thanks a lot, I had some wonderful summer memories =)
    Thank you <3 Yes and it's more frustrating if you don't get an answer but I wrote them on Instagram and there they said it comes soon and here it is :D Yes the discount is pretty high, I'm so happy about that.

    Interesting post =) I don't know this series but it sounds pretty nice. I love series like this, so I have to keep my eyes open if some streaming platforms in Germany has this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a great show! Sadly, it didn't become all that popular, but I just love it. I hope you're able to watch it <3

      Delete
    2. This is really sad. Some shows are so good and have no good promotion ^^

      Thank you <3 This is pretty sad but now we visit Hamburg in October, maybe we have a golden October then it will be nice too :D Yes I love autumn <3

      Delete
    3. Right? So many great shows end up cancelled because there wasn't any promotion. And other shows that aren't that great stay on the air for ages. It doesn't make much sense to me!

      Oh, I do hope that October will be beautiful when you go <3

      Delete
    4. You're absolutely right. I don't understand that too :D
      Thanks, I hope that too <3 :D

      Yes this For Your Beauty set is pretty cute =) There are many nice items in this box.

      Delete
  2. I don't know this series but seems interesting... Thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this show before but it's so wonderful you were able to get the DVD of it so you can reminisce and watch it whenever you like! :)

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is always nice to be able to watch shows that mean something to you! I'm very happy to have found the DVD. Thank you! I hope your weekend is going well <3

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid I haven't heard of the show, but I know all about love at first watch, as I definitely had it with Twin Peaks back in the early 90s.
    How wonderful that you were able to get the series on DVD! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is such a good show! My brother is obsessed with Twin Peaks and has all the DVDs, so he introduced me!

      Delete
  5. For one 8-episode season, Hidden Palms is one of the better shows I've ever seen. I really thought Michael Cassidy would become the next James Spader. Amber Heard was a smoke show, and played her part well, and Taylor Handley was good. Even the minor characters played their parts well. RIP Leslie Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you! It was such a great show. Michael Cassidy did a phenomenal job bringing that character to life. He was able to play the lighthearted charismatic scenes well, but also excelled at showcasing the darker sides of the character. Loved Amber Heard in the role and Taylor Handley as well. So sad to hear about Leslie Jordan today. He will be missed <3

      Delete