Saturday, September 17, 2022

rediscovered foundation: maybelline dream matte mousse


Talk about a flashback. It had been years since I last saw the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse on a drugstore shelf. Then, suddenly, there is was, as if no time had passed at all. Immediately, I was reminded of life before. Of girls nights out, of my old fast food job, and university classes. This product certainly sparked a lot of nostalgia. So, of course, it only made sense to give it another try. Would it be just like the Dream Matte Mousse I used to know? Would it actually work well? I had to find out. If you're curious about this old-school drugstore product from Maybelline, keep reading for all the details.


Okay, first thing is first. When did this product come back? And was it ever discontinued? I tried to do some internet sleuthing and the results were mixed. Some websites claimed that the product was discontinued in 2017 or so, but makeup enthusiasts online claim the product was always available to them. Perhaps it was a regional thing? All I know is that this is not a product I have seen in Canada for many years now. So, whether it was discontinued or just unavailable where I live....all that matters is that it is back. I remember loving this foundation at the time. It was easy to use and provided a good amount of coverage. I was also completely obsessed with the Dream Mousse Blushes (check out this post from 2011 featuring a couple of the blush shades). Though I am very excited to re-try the foundation, it would make me even happier to see those blushes return. 

For now, it is onto the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation. As I said, it has been many years since this foundation was part of my makeup collection. It looks the exact same now as it did back then. There is a glass bottom with a plastic lid that twists off. There were maybe four or five shades to choose from (extremely limited and far more limited than I remember). I opted for the lighted shade, Porcelain Ivory, and that ended up being a perfect match. However, if you have a deeper skin tone, this is unlikely to work for you. It was surprising to see so few shades available. I'm not sure if this is because the line is being reintroduced where I live or what the reasoning might be, but in 2022, it is especially disappointing to see brands that do not consider all of their customers. In my opinion, drugstore brands need to have a shade selection that is on par with high end brands. Everyone deserves to be able to find a foundation shade that works for their skin, regardless of their budget. 

In terms of performance, this works exactly the same way that I remember. I used my Real Techniques stipple brush to pick up a bit of product and worked it all over the face. The mousse texture means that the finish is light and natural. It blends into the skin really well. Even though I have dry skin, this doesn't exaggerate any problem areas. It also doesn't make my fine lines stand out any more than they already do. This is a fantastic foundation for me and have been using it a lot for everyday looks. Just something clean, polished, and easy. The Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse was used as part of a recent makeup look...

Yes, the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation is back. This definitely is exciting for me. Not only is this product nostalgic, but it also works well. I will be adding this to my must-buy list for the foreseeable future. Here is hoping that Maybelline will improve the shade selection so that many other customers can make use of this old-school drugstore product. 

Have you tried the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation? What did you think of it? 

12 comments:

  1. I confess that I've never tried it... I'm afraid that as my skin is oily, I'll get even more with this type of foundation.
    Xoxo
    myheartaintabrain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely understandable. It works well for my dry skin, so it might not be ideal for oily skin.

      Delete
  2. That's some interesting history about it, since I use makeup for plays or videos, the foundation might be helpful since I am not sure foundation is particularly good (since it is more chunky) this one seems like it is good though. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have, especially for plays and videos and such!

      Delete
  3. I remember this! i never used it but it was very popular and it's nice it's still around, and that you enjoyed using it! it does look so nice on your skin! :)

    Hope you had a great weekend! We enjoyed the warmer weather here :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a flashback, right?? Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying the weather!

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember using this one in the past. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen it around in a long time either. Will check out the drugstore soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete