Monday, February 26, 2024

if only i could stop the world, i'd make this last.

There's a place waiting just for you. It's a special place where your dreams all come true. Many S Club 7 songs impacted my life as a teenager for one reason or another, but "Reach" was a song I turned to when I felt especially misunderstood. High school was rough for me and though I had friends, I was also bullied, mocked, made fun of, and felt deeply uncomfortable in my own skin. The more I was bullied, the less I thought of myself, and the more I longed for escape. S Club 7 was that escape for me. Watching the television shows, the specials, the movies, and listening to the music made me feel like I was part of something...like I had this giant group of friends who would protect and stand up for me. I often imagined S Club 7 walking the halls with me and putting those bullies in their place. I imagined being part of the "club" and feeling confident and happy. Though the band obviously never saved me from the cruelty of the world, their music made me feel much less alone in the midst of it. When the world leaves you feeling blue, you can count on me. I will be there for you. Needless to say, hearing S Club 7 perform "Reach" live (along with many other favourites) was a dream come true. Five members of the band reunited and brought their "Good Times" tour to Meridian Hall in Toronto recently...and the night was everything I hoped it would be. 

Clearly, I have been an S Club 7 fan for a very long time. I saw them at Much Music when I was in high school and then saw three members at a 90s concert a few years back. This time? I was able to see five members perform a full concert. It was such a blast! Ahead of the show, the merchandise line was ridiculous, but thankfully, I was able to take home a few treasurers. I chose a tour hoodie, a t-shirt with all seven members on it, and a tour program. The venue was packed with diehard S Club fans, which made the evening even more fun and exciting. Everyone knew all of the words to the songs, everyone was having a good time, and everyone was making special memories. There was so much good energy in the room! I was in my happy place.

The setlist was excellent, with tracks from all of their albums. There were some singles and some album songs, so there was a good mixture. My highlights were Reach, Sunshine, Friday Night, Two In a Million, Bring It All Back...okay...my highlights were everything! I am a huge fan of the band and know every single lyric from every single song they ever released. So, it was a thrill to hear each and every song. Something important to note: Jon and Bradley sang, "Good Times," as a tribute to Paul Cattermole, who sadly passed away last year. Paul was always my favourite member of the group and his passing was devastating for all who knew him and appreciated his talents. He was so missed at the concert and I was grateful the band took time to honour him that way. His S Club 7 colour was orange, so of course, I wore vibrant orange makeup to the concert. 

It was such a special night. The dancing was amazing, the music was incredible, and everyone seemed to have a wonderful experience. Though I am normally a very anxious person and in my head at all times....I was able to feel really free and joyful during the show. I danced around with everyone and sang along to the songs. Every moment meant so much to me. This is the only time that I have ever seen S Club perform a full concert set, so it was a memorable evening from start to finish. 

Have you attended any concerts lately? Are you an S Club fan?

16 comments:

  1. Seems that you really had a blast at that concert! Happy for you!
    I didn't follow very much this group (even if I've heard some of their songs) but I can totally relate on the feeling of when you hear your fav songs of when you were teen!^^
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, it is such a special experience when that happens <3

      Delete
  2. Das klingt wirklich nach einem wundervollen Abend. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a trully special moment for you. I understand your feelings for a band that brought you comfort in difficult moments and I can really feel you on the loss of your favourite band member. I feel like this too when I see the movies of certain actors that were my favourite and they sadly passed away. I can really understand how you felt being part of a moment of tribute together with persons that appreaciated him too.
    P.S: orange make-up must be a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kindness! I'm glad you understand the feeling <3

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a story. Big hugs. It was a special night for you, i am glad you could enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boa noite e boa segunda-feira. Obrigado por dividir essa maravilhosa história conosco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry you were bullied. I was bullied in grade school and early junior high. By late junior high and high school it got better. I had a friend who was tough no one would bother me LOL. How cool to get to see S Club 7.I had not heard of them or maybe I know the music if not the name. The other day I heard INXS's song Don't Change. I love that song and I looked it up and it came out in 1982! I could not believe it.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that you dealt with bullying as well. I love that you had a friend who stood up for you in high school! That makes such a difference. Oh wow...I love that song! Hard to believe it came out that long ago!

      Delete
  7. It might sound very ignorant, but I didn't know S Club 7 until I read your post. They must have escaped my attention, or perhaps they weren't big in Belgium?
    I'm glad their music offered an escape for you at a time you weren't comfortable in your own skin. I do get that! What a trip down memory lane their show must have been for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might not have been popular there! S Club 7 was huge in England and somewhat popular in North America. I was just obsessed with them growing up...and still am! Thank you so so much <3

      Delete