Saturday, April 4, 2020

beginner series: four essential blush shades


It can be a little overwhelming. Using makeup for the first time can be both thrilling and totally terrifying. What colours are best? Which brands work well? There are so many questions and finding the answers often feels impossible. Don't worry! That is what this beginner series is all about. If you are just dipping your toes into the wonderful world of makeup, you might have some questions about blush shades. There are plenty of individual blush pans lining the shelves and just as many blush palettes. What do you actually need? Here are four essential blush shades that will cover your bases. From neutral looks to evening wear and everything in between.

Essential Blush Shade #1: Soft Neutral Pink

Perhaps the most important blush shade to start with is a soft neutral pink. If you only plan on buying one blush for right now...this should be it. A neutral pink is essential for a couple of reasons. For starters, it is universally flattering. It suits a number of different undertones and skin colours. This particular shade adds a healthy flush of colour to the face - but doesn't look overwhelming or too heavy. One drugstore option to consider is the shade Blushing from Elf ($3 CDN). A high end choice is Desert Pink from Bobbi Brown ($41 CDN).

Essential Blush Shade #2: Peachy Coral 

Next up on the list is a blush shade that effortlessly adds a gorgeous wash of colour. A peachy coral shade is ideal for the spring and summer months. It is easy to wear and can be paired with a wide variety of eyeshadow and lipstick choices. Apply a small amount to the apples of the cheeks to add a glowing finish to your makeup look. Some product suggestions include: Radiant Peach from Elf ($6 CDN) or Peach Pop from Clinique ($33 CDN).

Essential Blush Shade #3: Bronze Glow

If you are worried about choosing the right blush shade, consider something warm and bronzed. While traditional bronzer is used to shape and contour the face...a bronzed blush shade adds warmth and that little extra glow to the skin. It is a wonderful choice for the summer months. Or if you just want to give your skin a little something extra! Choose a bronze blush with a golden glowing finish to snag a blush and highlight in one. Some examples to consider are Long Weekend from Revolution ($11 CDN) or Luminous Bronze Light by Hourglass ($34 CDN).

Essential Blush Shade #4: Warm Plum

Rounding off this list of essential blush shades is a nice warm plum colour. This can work with a lot of different makeup looks - especially during the winter months. It is warm, rich, and works well with an evening look. Want something dramatic but still easy to wear? This is your best bet. One drugstore item to try is Deep Plum by NYX ($7 CDN). If high end is more your speed, then try Plum Gorgeous by Clinique ($30 CDN).

Does blush seem overwhelming? Not sure where to begin? Add one or all of these essential blush shades to your collection and you will be ready for any and all special events.

16 comments:

  1. I have gotten so much into blushes this year! I love dark mauve shades even tho Im super light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, same! It can look really glamorous. I am totally obsessed with blush, I have to admit!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post! Kisses ...Dilek .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use blushes, as I don't wear makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough! I personally love them because they just add that extra pop!

      Delete
  4. Hi Shannon,
    How long?!
    I liked the post even without using much makeup and in that tone :)

    XoXo
    - Helena Primeira
    - Helena Primeira Youtube
    - Primeira Panos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you liked the post! Hope you are doing well <3

      Delete
  5. Oh what a nice post! My fave shade is peachy coral. Never goes wrong! Especially for daylight and beach shoots :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! It is especially beautiful for spring and summer!

      Delete
  6. Bronze glow is my fav! Interesting post babe, stay safe!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a must have for sure! Thank you. I hope you are staying safe as well!

      Delete
  7. This is a great list! I am have the blush I have now as I wanted to replace the one I won in a giveaway with a similar shade - I like it on me but I never thought about trying some other categories instead! Thanks for sharing!

    Hope that you had a lovely weekend :) We all stayed home and stayed safe of course.

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I hope you find the blush shade you're after. I am sure whatever you choose, it will be gorgeous.

      Delete
  8. I love blush too. helps a lot to look more fresh. I often feel odd choosing the best color for me. help from pro makeup artist friend helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I'm glad you had help to choose the best shade <3

      Delete