Wednesday, April 8, 2020

jaclyn hill x morphe palette volume II (review + swatches)


Shortly before stores started shutting down and social distancing became a necessity...I purchased the Jaclyn Hill x Morphe palette from Sephora. It was likely my last purchase for the next little while. With the world so uncertain, it makes sense to dig into what I already have in my collection. To stop looking for more and keep my eyes focused on what is in my home. That being said, my Jaclyn Hill x Morphe Volume II Eyeshadow Palette has been getting an awful lot of use lately. (In case you missed it, click here to see the first makeup look I created using this recent release.) It is a colourful palette that offers a wide range of bright and bold shades. Ready to take a peek inside? See different makeup looks and swatches? Here goes....


Talk about colourful! If you remember the original Jaclyn Hill x Morphe eyeshadow palette, it was largely neutral with a few thoughtful pops of colour. The follow up is all about colour. While there are still essential neutral shades (a light beige, rich black, and some warm browns)...the primary focus is on all of that colour. There are sunset shades, including yellows, oranges, and corals. Then you have all of those reds, ranging from matte to glitter infused and shimmer shades. If that wasn't enough, there are also purple shades and bright pinks to choose from. No wonder this eyeshadow palette is so exciting. The possibilities are endless! Generally speaking, I am not an ultra colourful eyeshadow kind of person. However, this particular release makes me want to be. I have been having a lot of fun playing with all of the unique shades. Clearly the shade selection is impressive. The palette has all the essentials as well as a thrilling combination of colourful choices.

In terms of the packaging, it is pretty standard. Though the font on the front has been altered from the original palette release (you can see the original font here)....the basics are the same. It is a white cardboard palette with a magnetic closure. There is a little printed note from Jaclyn Hill inside the palette (making it feel a little more personal) and the shadows names underneath each colour. Simple, sleek, and effective. While this won't win any awards for fancy packaging, it does everything it needs to.

Now for the most important question: how do the shades perform? Honestly, really really really well. Though the first palette was impressive, this release is far superior. The shades have excellent pigmentation and are easy to blend. They maintain their colour and can be built up for even more intensity. Some of my favourite shades are: Flawed & Awed, G-Money, Therapy Sesh, Positivi-Tea, and Livin My Best. There are just so many wonderful shades to choose from. It has been a lot of fun putting them to good use. Want to see how they swatch? I recently filmed a YouTube video for my channel that includes both live swatches as well as photographed swatches.



As you can see, the pigmentation level is impressive. One thing I will say? Some of the neutral shades still appear quite warm. If you are someone who prefers cooler tones or classic neutrals...some of those browns may disappoint. They definitely are a lot warmer in tone. Overall, I am really enjoying this eyeshadow palette. I love the colour quality, the shade selection, and the fact that this is pushing me out of my comfort zone a little bit. It has been so much fun to be playful with colour and create some bolder makeup looks. On that note, I wanted to share a couple of recent creations with you. Be sure to let me know what you think of them in the comment section below.


The first look was done for a Get Ready With Me video for my channel. (It was a Chatty GRWM featuring the Jaclyn Hill Volume II palette, of course.) My goal was to use some of those purple shades and create a more colourful look.


The second look made use of the shimmery warm colours in the palette. I really wanted to put Empowered to good use, so that was the focal point of the look. Everything else was created around it. Though I haven't had a social life lately, this particular makeup look was done for a video chat meeting with a group of friends. It was a different experience, for sure. Thankfully it gave the the opportunity to have a little fun with makeup.

All in all, this is a wonderful eyeshadow palette. It far surpasses (and compliments) the original Jaclyn Hill eyeshadow palette. Lately, I have been especially grateful for this palette. It has kept me feeling inspired and creative during so many uncertain moments.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Have you tried this eyeshadow palette? Are you a fan of the original?

24 comments:

  1. This makeup palette is so fine
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! It is a really fabulous palette. I've been enjoying it a lot.

      Delete
  2. OMG OMG this is full of wonderful colours <3 <3 <3 And loving your makeup looks, both are fab :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? There are so many beautiful colours to choose from! :D

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous eye looks! I got this palette 3 weeks ago but its still in the box :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope when you try it you end up loving it! Keep me posted!

      Delete
  4. Que lindaa!! Adorei

    Um Beijo

    www.jessicamourablog.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic palette! I really love what you did!!! You are a makeup artist:) Your eyes can't stop shining!
    HAPPY THURSDAY AT HOME
    xoxo
    http://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful palette. Thank you so much for your lovely words! I appreciate that so much.

      Delete
  6. Hello beautiful!
    Love this palette, the colours are amazing and i love
    the looks you created! Hope you are doing well and keeping safe!
    Kisses!

    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm doing well and hope you are staying safe <3

      Delete
  7. WOW! Beautiful palette, cool photos and amazing makeup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG i love the colors! :)
    Xoxo
    http://myheartaintabrain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I love how many gorgeous shades there are to choose from.

      Delete