Thursday, February 6, 2020

shoppers drug mart sample haul + movies and mocktails event


Samples have a way of making people smile. Of bringing forth feelings of excitement. Or at least that seemed to be the case at a recent movies and mocktails event I attended. (Sound familiar? I also attended the event last year and documented the experience here on the creation of beauty is art. In case you missed that post - or want a refresher - my first movies and mocktails post can be found here.) In addition to a decked out candy table, lots of fruity mocktails, tables with beauty representatives, photo opportunities, and of course, a girly movie...each attendee also received a goodie bag of samples. Some of those samples were food items and a few were more practical items, like tissues and glasses wipes. However, easily the most exciting things were related to skin care, makeup, and beauty. Ready to see what was inside this fabulous sample bag? Here are some of the standouts.


High End Perfume Samples


Perfume samples are more than exciting. They are downright practical. I always take samples with me when I travel (they save so much space) or keep a few in my purse (just in case). These small little bottles aren't just great for times when you are on-the-go. They can also help you decide whether you want to invest in a full-sized bottle of a particular scent. As part of the goodie bag, there were two high end perfume samples: Good Girl by Carolina Herrera and Dark Rebel by John Varvatos. The first, Good Girl was on display at the event. The high heeled shoe design of the full-sized bottle made it extra alluring. (It would look so good on my perfume shelf!) As for the scent itself, it is sweet but sophisticated. Light but still have some depth to it as well. Good Girl is enjoyable, for sure. Dark Rebel on the other hand, is rather spicy and warm. It isn't something that I particularly enjoy so for me, this one was a miss.


Benefit + Too Faced Mascara Samples


There are a few mascaras that I turn to time and time again. My all-time favourite is The Super Sizer from Cover Girl. Other favourites: They're Real! from Benefit and Better Than Sex from Too Faced. Lucky for me, one of the samples included in this Shoppers Drug Mart goodie bag was an old favourite. They're Real! is honestly such a standout product from the high-end brand. I absolutely love the unique wand design, the fact that the mascara adds both fullness and length, and of course, the jet black colour. It is fabulous. Just as exciting? Trying out a new mascara from Too Faced. I had heard all of the buzz surrounding the Damn Girl! mascara but wasn't sure if it was worth splurging on. After all, there were already several mascaras that I knew and loved. However, receiving a sample gave me the perfect opportunity to test it out for myself. No risk involved. First of all, I adore the bottle design. It looks fresh, fun, and certainly stands out. Though the wand design is reminiscent to the Better Than Sex wand, the performance is even better than the original. It's like kicking things up a notch! The mascara adds lots of length and drama to the lashes.


Foundation + Skin Care Samples


Foundation samples are always a little tricky. Brands tend to give out a one-size-fits-all shade that suits....barely anyone. Of course, this foundation sample from Clarins was not a shade match for me. It was much too dark. However, this did give me the chance to see if the formula itself would work for me. Again, sadly it did not. Since my skin is on the dry side (no matter how diligent I am with my skin care routine) this wasn't a great fit. It accentuated dry areas and overall just was not flattering for my skin type. Live and learn! The other sample included here was from Dr Roebuck's. There was a full booth set up to test and try out various items from this skin care brand. It gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect. The Face Moisturizer sample included in this goodie bag worked well and didn't have an overpowering scent. 


Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner


There is nothing like a good eyeliner. When it comes to this waterproof liquid eye liner from Stila...it is definitely good. Great, even. This sample is a fairly decent size, which means I'll be able to get lots and lots of use out of it. The applicator is sturdy but has a decent amount of flexibility. The colour of the liner is a rich jet-black. The staying power is impressive. And it is waterproof, to boot. All in all, this is a wonderful addition to my morning routine. It is possible to create a gorgeous winged liner look or something a little simpler and more casual. I have really been enjoying this and have plans to purchase a full-sized version in future. 

Samples can be a lot of fun. There were certainly an awful lot of items to test and try...and some really impressed. Now I have a better idea of what will be added to my beauty wish list in future and what isn't worth the splurge. 

Have you tried any of these products? Do beauty samples excite you?

10 comments:

  1. The mascara look really decent for samples! Perfume samples are a good idea for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most definitely! Always exciting to try out new things.

      Delete
  2. I love sample product 😊 Thanks for your sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun you got so many samples, especially those mascaras! :) Sounds like a really good time!


    Hope that your week is going well and you have a nice weekend ahead of you :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have been really wonderful to use! I hope you have a great weekend as well.

      Delete
  4. Great samples from great brands! I can imagine the beautiful of the Carolina Herrera one!

    Marie
    https://theflowerduet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a lovely scent! Honestly, the full sized bottle was just gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. samples are making me happy too. always enjoyable

    ReplyDelete