Monday, October 1, 2018

review: the emily edit (the NEEDS palette)


In my life, I have had my fair share of idols. Over the years there have been countless women (and men) that I have admired for reasons ranging from their sense of style to their ability to create positive change in the world. On my list of people that I respect and adore is Emily Eddington, otherwise known as emilynoel83 or Beauty Broadcast. Emily is a successful YouTuber with one million subscribers, twelve years of sharing beauty tutorials and reviews, and most recently, a collaboration with Revolution.


Throughout her entire YouTube career, Emily had never released anything available for purchase. Not a t-shirt, a mug, a blush....nothing. That is one of the many things that differentiates Emily from so many big content creators. She doesn't constantly try to sell you things, she doesn't do sponsored videos, doesn't have an editing team, and isn't desperate to brand herself. Emily is simply a girl who loves makeup - that never shies away from the drugstore. Her integrity, honesty, and talent are just a few of the many reasons that I am such a huge fan.

Knowing Emily doesn't just slap her name on anything and everything, there is a level of trust between creator and viewer. Which is why when she announced her makeup palettes with Revolution, I placed an order immediately. Without a moment of hesitation. So, the next few days will be dedicated to Emily's very first makeup collaboration. She recently released two palettes: The Needs and The Wants. The first is loaded with makeup must haves and the second is an eyeshadow palette full of fun (want-able) shades. Are you ready to take a look inside The Needs palette? This is part one of the Emily Edit collection review.

The Needs Palette Review: Packaging 


First thing is first. How is the packaging? For me, this is an important part of any palette review. It is an essential part of the overall experience. Though many affordable products (this set cost a mere $15) skimp when it comes to the packaging, opting for cheap plastic and easy-to-break cases, The Needs palette offers the perfect balance of luxury and practicality. Some of the main reasons that the packaging stands out include:

  • The case is sturdy and secure. It is durable, has a clasp that works well, and is travel friendly. 
  • Since the packaging itself is a glossy plastic, it is easy to clean! (There is nothing worse than a beautiful palette with permanent fingerprints littering the case.)
  • The colour is soft, sweet, and sophisticated - and so is the writing on the front. 

Shades and Quality


As you can see from the picture above, there is an awful lot happening inside this palette. It has a number of different powder products that can be used to create a full face. That includes: a bronzer (Courage), blush (Joy), highlight (Gratitude), powder (Kindness), and six eyeshadows (Honesty, Passion, Peace, Faith, Hope, and Love). The sheer variety of products inside make this an ideal set for travel. In fact, I took this with me on a recent vacation and was able to use it in a number of different ways. There is a great mixture of neutrals, basics, and everything in between.

Though there are lots of great everyday shades in here, like a warm brown and a cool brown, there is also a fantastic darker shadow (which is ideal for creating an effortless smokey eye) and a warm red-toned shadow. Additionally, there are a couple of blending shades with Peace and Love. Not to mention the fact that the bronzer is fabulous, pigmented, and easy to blend.....the blush is ultra flattering....and the highlight adds a beautiful glow to the skin. My only issue with the palette is the fact that Peace, Love, and Kindness are so similar that you really don't need all three. It would have been nice to swap out one of those blending shades for something a little more unique.

One aspect of The Needs palette that I really enjoy are the names. These are considered the needs in Emily's life - and I just love that personal twist! It is also wonderful to see the names actually printed inside the palette. This doesn't happen nearly enough with affordable makeup palettes. Usually at best, they are printed on the back of the palette, if the shadows have been named at all. That extra detail made this set feel even more wonderful and luxurious. Even with that low price tag! 

Overall Impressions



Though I have used this palette in many different ways (you can see a demo in my YouTube video featuring the palette here), one of my favourite looks was at a wedding I attended recently. I really focused on building up that warm red-ish eyeshadow shade and created a bold crease with my favourite shade from the set, Passion. I love that these shadows can be worn very soft and sweet or built up to appear more intense and dramatic. This makes it extremely versatile and ideal for just about any occasion. Overall, I absolutely adore this set. It has a wonderful variety of colours and finishes to choose from. I also really love that there is a powder, bronzer, blush, and highlight included in here as well. Each one is flattering and easy to wear. 


Rating: 4.5 / 5

The Needs palette certainly lives up to its name. It has everything you need to create a beautiful makeup look. And for an affordable price, no less! Emily's first makeup palette delivers quality, heart, and plenty of opportunities for beauty. I am a big fan of this set and find myself reaching for it often. 

Have you tried The Needs palette? Are you a fan of Emily?

22 comments:

  1. Great post,love your makeup look

    https://pinkpassionisfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colors! Love it! :)
    Xoxo
    http://myheartaintabrain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, dear! Have a nice week!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely colors! I loved your makek up, kisses♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your make up looks amazing, gorgeous! You can make any product look so good. :)


    http://www.couture-case.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... all the shades are so nice. love it.

    plss.. comment on my latest blog post --> BLOG  

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your thoughts on this and the look you created! I really love the look of the shades, I love wearing sparkles and shimmers in to the colder months :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (I just wondered if you might be interested in my giveaway! It’s for the Norvina palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills - just thought I’d ask haha :D xx)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! And yes to shimmer and sparkle during the colder months. They always look good!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh! I used to watch Emily before she became huge! This post just brings me back:) This palette looks fab, and you did a great job as always with your swatches and sample look. Looks gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is awesome! I'm glad it was able to give you a bit of nostalgia for her channel. Thank you so much <3

      Delete
  9. Great palette and amazing makeup!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paleta com cores lindas, obrigado pela visita.
    Blog: https://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com
    Canal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmO8csZDARM

    ReplyDelete