Monday, August 26, 2024

cottage highlights and small town shopping haul

The summer season is coming to a close and September is right around the corner. (I love the "ber" months....September, October, November, and December. We are so close to sweater weather and pumpkin spice everything. How exciting!) As has become a bit of a tradition in recent years, my family went to a cottage this August for a week. Though I am more of an inside person, everyone else in my family enjoys the water and the views. My husband went fishing, my brother went kayaking, and my parents took some scenic walks with the dog. As for me? I did my best to embrace the nature, read, spend time with loved ones, and make some memories. Here are some of the highlights and a small town shopping haul with lots of thrifted finds. 

First thing is first...the cottage highlights. On the way to the rented cottage, my husband and I visited some lift locks and watched a few boats pass through. Then we met with my family and unpacked everything. The next day, we went to a nearby thrift store, my husband went fishing, and I started in on a good book. The family ended the night playing some games. The next several days were full of various adventures, including browsing antique stores, thrift stores, and local shops, doing crafts, playing games, and going for walks. The day before we came back home, my husband and I visited Fenelon Falls and saw the locks and historical museum there. Later in the day, the family went to a really unusual movie theatre and museum to see Twisters, and then we had dinner at a local restaurant with a view. Before long, it was time to pack up and return home.

Now for the small town shopping haul. As I mentioned, the cottage visit included some visits to local stores, thrift stores, and antique stores where many treasures (maybe too many) came home with me. One of my favourite stores in the area is Kicking Cowgirl Designs, which has amazing cowgirl inspired items. I always love to spend time in the store. This time, I treated myself to a Kicking Cowgirl bracelet, tank top, and two sweatshirts. Also pictured is the tote bag that came with my purchases. 

There were an awful lot of music purchases thanks to some wonderful thrift store finds. Twelve records, four CDs, and two cassettes, to be specific. Though some of the prices were high ($28 CDN for a Jane Fonda workout record and $30 CDN for a Richard Carpenter album) there were some more affordable finds as well (only a few dollars for some new to me Bobby Sherman records and an Eddie Fisher album). Other treasures include Davy Jones, Rick Nelson, Mac Davis, Wayne Newton, and my favourite ever, John Denver. As for CDs, I found Ricky Nelson, Perry Como, Ricky Martin, and Bing Crosby. Then there were Andy Williams and LeAnne Rimes cassettes. I love music, so it was really wonderful to add these items to my collection. 

There were also a bunch of DVD finds at the various stores that I visited. Some were new and some were used, but the prices were all fairly affordable. I was able to find some movies that I have been looking for (Best In Show as well as Now and Then), a couple of Amber Heard movies that I planned to order for myself as a birthday treat (Drive Angry and Pineapple Express. There are still lots on my list, so perhaps I will treat myself to some other ones for my birthday this year instead), and even some seasons of television shows that I enjoy. I am someone who loves entertainment and media. I am passionate about a great many things, including music, movies, and television shows. It was nice to find items that have meaning to me for a lot less. 

I am cut off from purchasing books for a bit. Though there are lots shown here, there are several that are not pictured, quite frankly, because I wore myself out trying to photograph it all. As I have mentioned before, I love mystery novels of all sorts. Thrillers, whodunnits, cozy mysteries...all of them. And I was able to find an incredible assortment for ridiculously low prices at the thrift stores. Some were as little as fifty cents each! In addition, I found the first Bridgerton book (I recently read the fourth book in the series and am looking to read the rest), some Christmas books, and even some Anne of Green Gables books. Thrift store shopping and antique store shopping means finding all sorts of wonderful treasures to fill my many bookshelves. 

Do you like spending time in nature? What do you think of this small town shopping haul?

16 comments:

  1. Great photos, it looks like a wonderful place :-D

    Nice haul :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your cottage getaway was a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure! I love how you managed to balance embracing nature with enjoying your downtime, especially with such a fantastic small-town shopping haul.

    Your finds at Kicking Cowgirl Designs sound delightful—those bracelets and sweatshirts must be a wonderful memento from your trip. It’s impressive how many records, CDs, and cassettes you found; your music collection must be thriving! And the DVDs you picked up, including some rare finds, sound like they’ll keep you entertained for ages.

    Your book haul is equally exciting. Mystery novels and classic series like Bridgerton and Anne of Green Gables are such great reads, and scoring them at thrift stores for bargain prices is a win.

    I’m curious—do you have a favorite from all your new purchases? And do you find that spending time in nature influences your book choices or interests?

    Read my new blog post: www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely have a healthy collection of music in my home. I have always loved music so much and it is exciting to find new treasures. Yes, I was lucky to find so many books for such low prices. Reading makes the world a little bit better. Out of everything that came home with me, I have especially been loving the Bobby Sherman records. They brightened my mood on a difficult day! <3

      Delete
  3. great photos :) I'll tell you, I love spending time in nature. In my area there's a lot to see and admire. I live next to a national park :) Greetings from Poland, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not much of a nature girl, but I did enjoy the time we spent on the cottage this summer. And oh em gee! Your haul.....soooooo awesome!!! You got some really awesome stuff....those records and books.....aaaaaaaaaah! There was only one thrift store when we went up north....which was good for the wallet, I guess:P
    Hope you're having a great Monday night:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy that change of pace! Thank you! It was exiting to find some special items :D

      Delete
  5. Oh yes I like Nivea a lot and this product is good as well.
    Thanks I had a really good time at the Echelon Festival =)
    Thank you very much.
    Thanks a lot =) I had a really great time, everyday so much fun :D But now I'm happy to be at home for a while.
    Yes the Harry Potter exhibition was very interesting.
    I love this shopping trips with my Soulmate, they're so much fun. Thanks, I love the "Dirty Dancing" sweater too <3

    Great post =) I like the pictures and you look beautiful as always.
    It's always nice to have CD's and DVD's, so old school and I will still collect them the next years.
    I don't read that much but I also have some books in my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree that CDs and DVDs are wonderful to have <3

      Delete


  6. A beautiful holiday destination. Have fun with your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spending time at that cottage amid nature sounds like absolute bliss to me. I'm sorry it's not really your cup of tea, but I'm glad to hear you were able to read, enjoy time with your family and make many purchases :-)
    Ooh, I absolutely love the "ber" months too. Perhaps because my birthday is in September ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that I can appreciate nature through your posts...from the comfort of my air conditioned home. That is definitely my preferred way to enjoy the outdoors!

      Delete
  8. Bom dia. Uma excelente quarta-feira minha querida amiga.

    ReplyDelete