Friday, August 30, 2024

beauty bookshelf: never give up by richard simmons

In my last Beauty Bookshelf post, I talked about how my view of beauty has shifted over the years. Though it still includes makeup, fashion, hair, photography, and art, it also includes justice, self confidence, and wisdom. It includes hope and perseverance. Knowledge and meaning. Beauty is so much more than what we see...it is who we are. Though I have been reading a lot of books recently that would qualify for a Beauty Bookshelf post (and may well be highlighted in the future) the one that stood out most was Richard Simmons' Never Give Up: Inspirations, Reflections, Stories of Hope. Since his passing last month, my heart has been aching, but I have been doing my best to turn that loss into something meaningful. I have been eating pretty well, exercising regularly, and taking time to read and reflect. This book has been part of that process. 

Never Give Up: Inspirations, Reflections, Stories of Hope by Richard Simmons is a book that I found at a thrift store a few years back. It was such a thrill to find at the time. Quickly, I read through the book, which included all sorts of personal stories about losing weight, learning to love exercise, and overcoming obstacles. It is one that I have come back to a few times since that first read, because it is so moving and inspirational. More recently, I re-read it as I tried to figure out how to navigate the loss of Richard Simmons, who greatly impacted my life. As I mentioned, this is a book focused on inspiration. Sometimes, we learn best from others who have been in similar situations. People who have come out the other side! This book includes all sorts of personal stories from all sorts of people. It was an honor to learn about them, root for them, and celebrate their successes.  


In addition to the personal stories from others, there is a chapter that reviews Richard Simmons and his history with food and weight loss (he goes into that more fully in his book, Still Hungry - After All These Years) and a chapter about one of his long-time employees and friends, Elijah. There are also poems, positive affirmations, and the Project Me Passport statements. All in all, this is a book that is loaded with inspiration, honesty, and hope. There is so much vulnerability, and I have come to realize that vulnerability is one of the most beautiful things in this world. Never Give Up: Inspirations, Reflections, Stories of Hope is a book that I can continue to come back to whenever I need a reminder that I am not alone and there is beauty in the world.

What do you find beautiful these days? What is on your beauty bookshelf? 

18 comments:

  1. Great and beautiful Quotes in this Book.
    I wish you a wonderful weekend
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you had a wonderful weekend as well <3

      Delete
  2. Your reflection on Richard Simmons' Never Give Up: Inspirations, Reflections, Stories of Hope is deeply touching. It’s wonderful how you’ve found solace and inspiration in his words during a difficult time. The way you describe the book as a source of motivation and hope resonates strongly. It’s clear that Simmons' message of perseverance and self-love continues to impact you meaningfully. Thanks for sharing how this book has been part of your journey towards healing and reflection. Happy weekend. I just shared a new post, I invite you to check it out. Thank you. https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/08/high-salt-diet-linked-to-higher-eczema-incidence.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you always for your thoughtfulness and kindness. It is always very appreciated! <3

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this book review with us, Shannon! And you are right in that beauty is so much more than what we see ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! That is a lesson that I am very happy to continue to learn <3

      Delete
  4. I'm really glad about that too =) It's always nice to have good neighbors.
    Thanks <3 I'm so happy with my new plush <3 Oh yes I totally agree, I love to buy merch but it wasn't so much merch from my games so it was better for me xD Thank you.
    Yes this socks are so cute, I love Chupa Chups <3
    I love soft pretzels <3 Couldn't live without them xD

    Great post. This book sounds really interesting. I don't read that much and when I read then something about Stars like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears :D Oh and "Fifty Shades" <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The content of this book sounds wonderful, he was a person who inspired and helped thousands of people a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seeing the book for the first time but after reading your article I felt that it was beautiful enough to affect our lives. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to be a really nice book! <3

    http://www.couture-case.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just in the hair salon today and was reading about him as I waited for my color. I would love to read this book. We lost a legend, though I know he did not think of himself that way.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to read about his work! I was lucky enough to find this book at a thrift store in the past! You are so right that the world lost a legend and a source of hope. <3

      Delete