Wednesday, April 24, 2024

thrift store entertainment haul (records, dvds, and cds)

There is a used entertainment store that I have loved for many years. Essentially, people bring in their old records, CDs, movies, and box sets for money or store credit. Then the store turns around and sells those items to people like me. There was one location in the city that I grew up in and thankfully there is another location in a city not too far from where I live now. Despite the fact that it isn't too far away from me...this is not a store that I am able to visit often. The reason? My loved ones do not trust me in there. This is because I am a physical media person. I love CDs, cassettes, DVDs, VHS tapes, records, all of it. Streaming is cool and all, but there is something to be said for actually owning the things you love. (I hate how often things leave streaming services. And the fact that many things I enjoy are not available at all.) Last weekend, my husband allowed me to spend 15 minutes inside the store. Though I didn't have a lot of time to browse, there were so many wonderful items that I was able to find in those 15 minutes. It was a real treasure trove. Ready to take a look? Here is a peek at my thrift store haul.


Records. There were a ton of records to look through, but there just was not a lot of time. Lucky for me, my husband spent the 15 minutes browsing through the records to see if there was anything that might interest me. (I spent the rest of the time looking at CDs and DVDs.) He found four Dolly Parton records and one Carpenters record. I'm a big fan of both, so it was exciting that he found some records that I didn't have in my collection. The Made In America record from the Carpenters has been in heavy rotation lately. Since it was the last record released in Karen Carpenter's lifetime, it is an extra special one. There are so many incredible songs, but my current favourite is When You've Got What It Takes. As for the Dolly Parton albums, these are a true delight. I have a lot of Dolly songs on various CDs, but there is something extra special about vinyl. It is magic. 


CDs. Since there was not a lot of time available to me, my efforts were very focused. I looked at the oldies section and the Christmas section. I found wonderful items in both areas! As you can see, the prices ranged from $1.00 CDN to $8.99 CDN, so the prices are pretty reasonable. I found four Christmas albums, from Rosemary Clooney, Reba McEntire, Donny Osmond, and Olivia Newton-John. Such incredible finds, because I am obsessed with Christmas, and I love all of those artists. Another exciting find was a greatest hits album from Bobby Goldsboro. I've written about my fairly new obsession with Bobby Goldsboro (thanks to an Easter cartoon found on YouTube) so finding anything from him is a real thrill as I build my collection. 


DVDs. I was also able to find some DVDs during my time at the thrift store. The first was a concert DVD from Nsync, which is a real thrill for a millennial like me. I have a lot of concert DVDs and genuinely enjoy watching them, so it was nice to find one that I didn't have. The rest of the DVDs that I found are all Christmas ones. Honestly, there were so many Christmas movies there! Most of them were ones that I had already (I have a large collection of Christmas movies) but there were a lot that were of interest. Ultimately, some choices needed to be made and I purchased a fireplace with Christmas music that plays on a loop, a cartoon nutcracker movie, a couple of cartoons on my list (yes...I have a wish list of Christmas movies), and some Hallmark movies. It was such a thrill. Out of all of them, my favourite is either An All Dogs Christmas Carol or Nine Dog Christmas.

Do you like thrift store shopping? What do you think of this entertainment haul?

6 comments:

  1. Great Haul! I love Dolly Parton.
    She is also a great personality off stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eine wirklich sehr bunte Mischung. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boa noite de quarta-feira minha querida amiga, suas compras são maravilhosas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I do prefer physical media to streaming. How wonderful to have that used entertainment store near you. I had to giggle at the fact that your loved ones do not trust you in that store :-) Admittedly, you did have quite a haul there! Both The Carpenters and Donny Osmond do take me back to my teenage years! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I find vintage stores attractive, what a good selection of Christmas movies you found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post.

    www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete