Saturday, May 16, 2020

inspired by: all things tie dye


Last year, tie dye returned to the fashion scene in a major way. It was one of the hottest trends gracing the Spring 2019 runways. Though many trends were predicted for the current season (including 70s inspired items, tropical prints, and all things mint coloured)....my mind is still focused on tie dye. There is so much to love! Not only is it a nostalgic reference of decades past, it is fun. It is colourful. It is bright. It is exciting. Tie dye is whimsical in every sense of the word. There may be more than a few fashion editors out there eager to move on to the next trend or the hottest new design. As for me? I am holding onto an enduring style that adds some much needed light to the spring and summer season. Currently, tie dye is a serious fashion obsession of mine. Which is why I wanted to do an inspiration post of sorts. These are some of the designs that have been keeping me inspired lately.


The tie dye trend is certainly nothing new. It became popular in the fashion world back in the 1960s though the practice of dying clothes this way dates back to Peru in 500 AD. Despite its long origins, this style has largely been tied to the peace and love movement in the 60s and 70s. It continued to come back into vogue every now and then, most notably in the 1990s. These days? It is retro, nostalgic, and a wonderful way to embrace and enjoy colour. There are as many different tie dye techniques and finishes as there are colours in the rainbow! That makes this both an exciting and expressive art form. Lately, I have been really into tie dyed casual wear. Namely sweats and graphic t-shirts. That being said, there are endless examples of tie dyed ensembles being elegant and sophisticated. This dying technique is so playful and dynamic. It truly makes a statement. No wonder it continues to be at the forefront of fashion.


Tie dyed clothing has been seen in countless movies and television shows. It has been written about. Mocked. Loved. There is truly nothing better! Here are a few tie dyed inspired quotes to brighten your day:

  • "Colourful shirt. Colourful life."
  • "It is do or dye."
  • "Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud."
  • "Keep calm and wear tie dye."


There is no denying the power of tie dye. It is bold. It is bright. It is an enduring fashion trend that is likely to stick around (or continue returning) for decades to come. This versatile and thrilling dying technique always makes me smile. Lately, it has truly been inspiring my fashion choices. My eyes are drawn to all things tie dyed! With spring fully underway, there is no better time to embrace colour, whimsy, and of course, tie dye. 

Are you a fan of tie dyed designs? Do you have tie dyed pieces in your closet?

34 comments:

  1. I really love the whole tie dye trend right now, it's such a fun twist on the typical pastels we usually see! xo

    Gemma | Makeup Muddle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! And you are so right. It allows us to wear all of those pastel colours in a brand new way. So fun!

      Delete
  2. Always been a fan of tie dye clothes growing up and these outfits are taking it to a whole new level!

    https://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to tie dye for ages, bought the color and everything, but never find the courage to do it...
    thanks for the inspiration and have a great weekend,
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That is so cool! I hope you end up making some fabulous tie dyed items!

      Delete
  4. Cool post 😊 thanks for your sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun tie dye pieces! I have a tie dye maxi dress I really should get out again, it's so fun to wear! :)

    Hope that you are having a nice weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should definitely pull that out and wear it. I'm sure it will look fantastic!

      Delete
  6. Everything looks so wonderful!   

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice post dear :)
    Kisses, Buba

    https://bubasworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last 3 clothes all colorful ... adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love how easy it is to play with colour thanks to tie dyed pieces!

      Delete
  9. I like tie-dye too. Wonderful options and super styles! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must confess, I am a fan. It is so much fun especially dresses :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! It's always nice to have fun with fashion!

      Delete
  11. Great images, Shannon:) I really love that one that Queen Naomi is wearing:D I am a big fan of tie dye but I unfortunately have only a few pieces. Must change that soon..sewing a tie dye dress would be awesome!
    Happy Victoria Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I wish I had more but I will definitely be working on that sooner rather than later! To you as well. I hope you had a wonderful long weekend <3

      Delete
  12. great post
    http://www.ludatischenko.com @luda.tischenko - instagram

    ReplyDelete