Sunday, April 28, 2019

review: physician's formula (butter collection x casey holmes)


Though I always ooh and ahh over the Physician's Formula section at my local drugstore....it is rare that I actually purchase something. Perhaps this has to do with the price. The brand is typically a lot more expensive than other alternatives, like Cover Girl and Hard Candy. For the price of one Physician's Formula item, I could buy two or three from another brand. So, often I pick up something, look at it, and put it back again. (With one exception. I have a whopping one Physician's Formula review here on my blog!) Not this time. There was a beautiful set on display when I was out and about with my husband. I was ready to put it back but he took it from my hands and marched right up to the cash register. It was a lovely treat. Ready to take a peek inside this Butter Collection set? Here goes....

Physician's Formula: Butter Collection x Casey Holmes


Let me start by saying right off the bat...I had not heard of Casey Holmes before picking up this palette. I know, I know! When it comes to huge beauty YouTubers, I am a bit of a slacker. I typically prefer small or mid-range content creators. This is partly because when videos are overly polished they seem cold. And partly because I find a lot of bigger creators are out of touch. Many of them only review things they are given in PR, they don't shop the drugstores, and sometimes their reviews seem biased. There are of course notable exceptions - and I tend to stick to those exceptions if I'm watching more well-known beauty gurus. That being said, I did look up Casey Holmes afterward, and she seems very sweet. Who knows! Maybe I will end up giving her videos a try.

At any rate, the collaboration aspect was not what drew me into this collection. It was the oversized box loaded with Physician's Formula goodies to try. For starters, the collection box stood out among the other smaller, individually packaged offerings at the drugstore. Then when you flip up the top, there is a serious wow factor. The Physician's Formula Butter Collection x Casey Holmes set includes a bronzer, blush, highlight, four eyeshadow shades, a lip product, and a fragrance. To start, here is a closer look at the powder products inside:


As you can see, this set has a lot going on...just with the powder products alone! It includes the Butter Bronzer in Deep Bronzer, the Butter Blush in Copper Cabana, and the Butter Highlighter in Just Beachy, which is a limited edition shade. Then underneath that, there are the four eyeshadow shades. Those shades include: Do Not Disturb (a soft cream) and No Filter (a warm brown), Tropic Like It's Hot (a warm red), and Palms Palms (a deep green). All of these items have a wonderful buttery texture as the Butter Collection name implies. They are so soft and luxurious to the touch.

In terms of the pigmentation level, this is quite impressive throughout. Though the bronzer is dubbed Deep Bronzer, this actually works well on my skin tone. It simply needs to be blended out a little bit more. The blush shade is also super warm and flattering and that highlight packs a serious punch of shimmer and shine. The entire top row is a success. Plus, the fact that these colour lend themselves so well to the spring and summer months is a real asset as well. I can see myself reaching for this collection an awful lot as the weeks and months roll on.

Then there are the eyeshadow shades themselves. The first three shades perform extremely well and are just lovely. They blend like a dream and look downright fabulous on the eyes. However, that green shade is not quite as successful. The formula is a bit drier than the rest and it requires a fair amount of building up to achieve the full colour payoff. Since the green really stands out from the rest of the shades here, it was a real disappointment. That being said, overall, the powder products are really impressive. They also smell amazing! The products have a fruity yet floral scent that I can't quite put my finger on. I love, love, love it.


Next up in this collection is the Murumuru Butter in the shade Pop The Bubbly. (You can see it in the swatches above. It is the last in the row, right next to that green eyeshadow shade.) This was my first time trying a lip product from Physician's Formula and all I can say is WOW. Yes, it deserved capital letters! The texture is creamy and smooth. It feels ultra comfortable on the lips. It wears naturally throughout the day and only requires minimal touch ups... and the colour. Oh, the colour. It is the ultimate summer shade. It is warm, shimmery, and has a hint of bronze. I fell in love with this so instantly that it is going to come with me on an upcoming trip. I'm fairly certain this will be one of the only lip products I'll be taking with me.


Finishing off this Butter Collection set is the Butter Paradise eau de toilette. Remember how I mentioned the scent of the powder products? How wonderful it smelled? Thankfully, Physician's Formula thought of all the details. This little bottle of perfume has (a slightly stronger version) of that exact same fragrance. I absolutely love the scent and the bottle is the perfect size for travel or to store in your purse or backpack. Including a fragrance is such a wonderful bonus and I think it completes this summery set quite well.

Want to see this set in action? Here is a makeup look that I created using each and every one of the products included in the Butter Collection. I'm really happy with the way it turned out...and I can't wait to continue using this set in the future.


Rating: 4.5 / 5

Overall, this is a really stellar makeup set. The products are wonderful, there is a great variety, and the price was actually fairly reasonable considering everything that is included. If you are looking for some new summer makeup products....this Physician's Formula collection is all you need.

Have you tried any of these products? Are you a fan of Physician's Formula?

18 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the yet but I want them. <3
    Your makeup look is awesome!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your makeup! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear! This box is really amazing and your makeup is perfect as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful make up set. Thank you for sharing! :)
    New post - www.minniearts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh it looks so pretty, I love the shades! Gorgeous for summer :D I love the look you created, so beautiful! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! They are really fabulous summer shades. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. The palette looks great. :-) I like Physician Formula! :-)
    I had not heard of Casey Holmes before too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful set, for sure. Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  7. It looks pretty! But I'm more drawn to that little EDT over there. Pretty sure I'm gonna sniff it all day long haha! xx

    lenne | blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful dear. Kisses 😍

    ReplyDelete