Wednesday, September 25, 2024

review: clairol root touch-up and john frieda brunette products

It has certainly been an adjustment. Dying my hair is not my favourite thing to do and I find myself feeling resentful about the grey hairs that have forced a change to my routine. For the last several months, there are a few products that I have been using to maintain my brunette status. It seemed time to share my thoughts on them, just in case anyone else is in the same boat. On that note, here are reviews on the Clairol Root Touch-Up by Natural Instincts and some hair care products from John Frieda.

Clairol Root Touch-Up by Natural Instincts. How am I keeping the greys away? Lots and lots of hair dye. I dyed all of it using a box dye from Clairol and have been using the Root Touch-Up every month since. The rest of my hair doesn't need to be redone at this point, so it is just root touch-up after root touch-up. Eventually, I will need to redo the length, but for now, this works. (The colour on the length turned out darker than I anticipated, but I'm just telling myself that the darker colour is better for the fall season anyway.) This root touch-up kit works really well and is actually quite simple to use. It has a plastic mixing bowl made from recycled plastic, so it is super simple to mix everything together. There is also an applicator brush, so the application process is fairly straightforward. This dye doesn't have a strong scent (unlike the one that I used for the length) and it doesn't make a mess. Since I hate the fact that I have to dye my hair at all, it is nice to have a kit that makes it simpler. 


John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Colour Vibrancy Shampoo and Conditioner. As I may have mentioned once or twice...I do not like to dye my hair. I also do not like that having dyed hair means I've had to make a lot of changes to the products that I use. For example, switching from regular shampoos that smell lovely to colour safe shampoos. I have to spend a lot more time conditioning my hair as well, because the texture is slightly different than it was before. Sigh! Clearly, I am not handling the transition well. At any rate, I have been using the Brilliant Brunette Colour Vibrancy Shampoo and Conditioner from John Frieda. It is supposed to maintain the colour and prevent it from fading. From what I can tell, it works well and makes a difference. However, it is a lot more expensive than the shampoo that I was using before, so that is also an adjustment.

Even though the whole dying-my-hair thing does not thrill me...I am grateful to have products that make it a little bit easier. 

Do you dye your hair? What products do you use to achieve and maintain your preferred colour?

4 comments:

  1. I use Nice and Easy by Clairol. It is a semi permanent. My hair doesn't like perm dyes but copes well with semis much better. A touch up is a good idea, I like that instead of dying the whole head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check out for sure if this product is available in Italy. I went back being brunette and the grey hairs in front are really annoying. I continue dyeing all my hair but in the end the lenght gets to be always darker than the roots. I should do only the roots for some while...

    ReplyDelete

  3. Don't dye my hair.
    Wish you a wonderful Day <3

    ReplyDelete