Wednesday, September 11, 2024

current music obsession: sabrina carpenter and katseye


Music has always been a place for me to hide, feel, and find myself. It has been a companion for such a long time. In my younger years, there were always new releases that interested me. Now that I am older and have a healthy music collection, additions occur less frequently. This is in part because I do not enjoy a ton of the new music that is released and in part because a lot of the artists I love have retired, broken up, or release music less often than before. However, heading into a recent shopping trip to the United States (you can read a bit about that here) there were two items on my wish list: music from Sabrina Carpenter and KATSEYE. I was able to find the vinyl version of the new Sabrina Carpenter album, but that was all. After returning home, I ordered the CD version of Short n' Sweet (which I am still waiting on. Sigh.) and KATSEYE Soft Is Strong. Here is a look at the Sabrina Carpenter record and elaborate KATSEYE release...and details about my current musical obsessions.


Short n' Sweet by Sabrina Carpenter. As mentioned, it was the vinyl version of Short n' Sweet that came home with me after a brief visit to the United States. Though I have ordered the CD version, it has still not arrived. (Fingers crossed it will soon!) The vinyl version is fabulous and has a bubblegum pink coloured record, a poster, and really beautiful artwork. As for the album itself, Sabrina Carpenter never disappoints. I've loved her music for a long time and it has been wonderful to see her grow and become a huge international star. Some of my favourite songs on the album are Juno, Taste, Sharpest Tool, and Good Graces. 


Soft Is Strong by KATSEYE. When I started to watch Pop Star Academy on Netflix, I had no idea that it would unlock a full blown musical obsession. I decided to watch the show, because I assumed it was similar to old-school reality television shows like Making The Band and Pussycat Dolls Present. I always loved those kind of shows and taking a peek behind the curtain. Ultimately, the show formed KATSEYE, a global girl group using a K-pop training style. Truthfully, I don't know too much about K-pop outside of being aware of a few more popular groups. So imagine my surprise when the Soft Is Strong EP arrived from KATSEYE and it was a whole book full of goodies. Apparently, there are two versions: Soft and Strong. I have the Soft version of the Soft Is Strong EP. It came with a book, poster, stickers, trading cards, postcards, a polaroid, cardboard charms, and of course, the actual EP.  It was so exciting to look through all of the extras. This is a really unique addition to my music collection! As for the EP? Obsessed does not even begin to describe it. I have listened to it at least five times a day every day since it arrived. The music is incredible and I cannot wait for more to be released. Though every single song on the EP is perfection, my favourite is I'm Pretty. I am well outside the target demographic for KATSEYE, but the obsession is real. I adore them! 

There you have it. My current musical obsessions are Short n' Sweet by Sabrina Carpenter and Soft Is Strong by KATSEYE. 

What have you been listening to lately? Be sure to share your musical obsession in the comment section below!

14 comments:

  1. I don't know either of these artists. Been listening to a lot of 60s and 70s stuff :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to have a listen to these two artists, as I'm afraid I'm not familiar with either of them. I've been listening to a lot of classical music lately, but I love all kinds of genres. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently met Sabrina, I really liked her song Espresso. I need to get to know her work better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also need music to live, without it nothing works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s wonderful how music can be such a personal and enduring companion. It sounds like your music collection holds a special place in your life, and it’s always exciting to find new additions that resonate with you. Sabrina Carpenter and KATSEYE sound like great picks, and it’s always worth the wait to get your hands on new music that you’re passionate about.

    I just published a new blog post. Check it out here: (https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/09/watcher-2022-thriller-movie-review.html). Would love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to share it if you find it useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! Music has always been a really important part of my life. Thank you for your kindness <3

      Delete