Wednesday, November 29, 2023

a little grey hair is a small price to pay for wisdom.

I remember the first time I noticed a grey hair. That shining piece of silver stood out against a sea of brown. At the time, I was more confused than anything else. It couldn't be...could it? I was in my early 20s back then and grey hair had not occurred to me. After all, I was busy trying to figure out who I was, what I wanted, and how I envisioned my life. It was too soon for grey! Only it wasn't. Since then, the grey hairs have multiplied. I am now watching them take over. One day, in the not-so-distant future, I will make the decision to start dying my hair. To cover the greys. To hold onto the brown in some way. However, I haven't been able to take that leap yet. I am trying to hold onto my natural colour for as long as I can. For as long as I have it. 

Unfortunately, I feel like I am running out of time. Every day, it seems more of those little grey strands make an appearance. I've tried plucking them out of my head (a nice temporary solution, but there are too many to pluck out now) and I've tried dry shampoos with a little bit of color. I've also tried accepting the grey, but that approach hasn't been very successful. Truthfully, I didn't expect to spend my 30s feeling nostalgic about my brown hair. I didn't expect to mourn. Especially since so much of my youth was spent wishing that I was blonde or a red head. I guess it's true that you don't know what you have until it's gone. 

If you couldn't tell, I've been thinking about my hair a lot lately. I've been trying to cherish the time I have left as a brunette...the last moments without dye and root touch ups and all the rest. A little while back, I wrote a short poem about all of this, and am finally brave enough to share it here. So, without further ado, here is a little poem about my hair...

As I pluck long, silver strands from my scalp,

I think back

To all the years spent hating my hair.

My brown hair.

My plain hair.

My frizzy hair with haphazard waves.

I think back

To all the years I longed for a rich auburn or sunshine blonde.

Something

Anything

That would make me feel special.


As I watch my brown hair slowly turn silver,

I realize how much I will miss

My brown hair.

My plain hair.

My frizzy hair with haphazard waves.

I pause now

To appreciate the colour that is so uniquely me.

I wish we had more time together. 

14 comments:

  1. I thought genetically my hair would turn gray at later ages, I was wrong... too much stress, maybe genetically modified foods, I don't know, I'm sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, tell me, I have learned to live with this problem, although my gray hair appeared when I was 33, just like you, at first I chose to pluck it out, until I noticed that it looked like a gap and I stopped doing it, Now what I do is dye my roots because I don't feel comfortable having white locks, I've already resigned myself to that routine. By the way, your poem moved me. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much <3 I'm glad you have found a routine that works. I suppose I need to figure out one of my own!

      Delete
  3. Pretty wonderful because I love ice teas <3 Can't wait to try it =)
    It was an exciting time with many informations, good food and a nice party at the end <3 :D Thank you =)

    A really nice post =) I think grey hair is not that bad as many people thinks, it's just a sign that you have lived your life <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bei Männern finde ich graue Haare schon attraktiv, bei Frauen aber irgendwie nicht. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, I like it fine on everyone, but seem to struggle with it on myself!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely poem, Shannon!
    I must say that I cannot remember when I noticed my first grey hair(s), but then again I have been dyeing mine for a long time, as I'm not a fan of my natural mousy hair colour. By now, of course, the amount of grey has multiplied greatly, which I notice when I'm due my next dyeing session. I'm not at all ready to go grey like a couple of my girlfriends have done ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the colour you have your hair! It suits you so perfectly! I just assumed that was your natural colour, because it is so flattering!

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful words!
    Still I don't want grey hair, and guess that, as asoon as I'll found some of them I'll start dying it...
    Anyway since my father started to have grey hair at late age (more than 50yo) I keep on hoping I'm like him (don't know about my mother since she dyes her her since.. ever- she doesn't liker her natural color-)!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have his good luck and don't have to worry about this for many many years!

      Delete
  7. I feel you I first started noticing grey in my 30s too. I dye my hair but I know the time will come when I will have to let go. When I was a kid and in my teens my hair was really thick too thick. I always wanted to be thinner. Well now it is and now I wish I had the hair I had when I was in my teens...

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that always the way? We want something different until we don't have what we used to. Ah, such is life, I suppose <3

      Delete