Tuesday, August 9, 2022

colour is descriptive. black and white is interpretive.

Black and white photographs always seems to say more. They express longing, despair, and the complexity of human emotions in a way that colour photos cannot. Lately, I have been really inspired by black and white everything. Photography, movies, television shows...all of it. Perhaps this is because there is something achingly beautiful about black and white images of all kinds. They somehow peel back the layers and get to the heart of the matter. They say the things that we are too afraid to say. They tell our secrets. Since my world has been a little black and white recently, it only made sense to share a bit of that inspiration here on the creation of beauty is art. Here are some inspiration photos to add a little extra something to your day. Some of the images are moody and others are powerful, but all are meaningful, special, and important. 









There is no doubt about it: black and white photographs are impactful. Many of these images have a haunting quality...which is what I like best about them. There is power, vulnerability, and honesty in these photographs and quotes. I hope that you leave here feeling inspired and ready to share deeper parts of yourself with the world. Let your beauty shine. 

Do you like black and white photography? Which picture is your favourite?

27 comments:

  1. B&W ahs its own magig: so impactful and "raw" and glamourous at the same time!
    Great pics and quotes selection!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear! It's true, the pic in black and white are very great 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am a fan of black n white photography. Should try it myself! The makeup brushes, that is my fav here but I do like them all :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes! You absolutely should. Your photos would be beautiful, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures.

    www.paginasempreto.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am crazy for black, i loved this theme. Post is awesome like always!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you! I love this post, thanks for sharing it with us :)

    Shoot for the stars | ☆ ☆ ☆ | Facebook page | ☆ ☆ ☆ | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos and poignant quotes! I do love black and white photography! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are such wonderful photos, Shannon! I love black and white photos esp for portraits...not so much for landscape unless it's an Ansel Adams one. I really love that one of Angelina above btw:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same! There is something about a black and white portrait that is especially powerful. I love the Angelina one as well. I just fell in love with it the moment I saw it!

      Delete
  10. I agree black and white photography can be really striking! I only have colourful photos up around the house but I do admire black and white photos. Our photographer took some black and white photos on our wedding day, which I really liked, but the colourful ones are the ones that made it to the wall :)

    Hope you are having a good day :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? That's so interesting! I like to have lots of colourful things around my house, too, so I definitely understand that. But I'm sure the black and white photos are fantastic!

      Delete
  11. as a pro photographer I have a very mixed vision of black and white photography. It is a powerful tool but it is so often misused so it is marked 'tacky' among professionals. I also often see how being black and white the portrait doesn't show the real personality of the person. everybody seems so elegant and mysterious on black and white photo... do we really have it that much in people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so interesting! Thank you for sharing this perspective. I didn't know that it was often considered tacky amongst professionals. I personally still love black and white photos. Sometimes, there is power in stripping away the colours and being able to focus on the emotions in that moment.

      Delete
  12. I agree with you black and white photography is really expressive-- in a different way than colored photography is. It's saying something different and it's really fun to play around with what you can communicate with it. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! It is amazing how different emotions can be expressed in colour versus black and white. Such a powerful medium!

      Delete