Thursday, December 7, 2023

five favourite obscure christmas cartoons.

In previous years, there have been several posts dedicated to obscure Christmas movies, specials, and cartoons here on the creation of beauty is art. The reason is simple. I love them...a lot. Though the more popular holiday movies and specials make me smile, there is something extra thrilling about discovering media that is lesser known. Something new-to-me. Something I might have missed before. I used to find all sorts of random Christmas movies at the dollar store and at different thrift stores. This year, I have managed to find some hidden gems on free streaming platforms. I absolutely love free streaming sites, because it is often possible to find lesser known media from the 80s, 90s, and 00s. How exciting! Today, I wanted to share five of my favourite obscure Christmas cartoons. Each one has been adding to the magic of the holiday season this year. 

Snuffy: The Elf Who Saved Christmas. It was a couple of years ago that I came across the animated Easter special, Easter Egg Mornin'. That was love at first watch for me. It was through that cartoon that I learned who the singer Bobby Goldsboro was. I have since become a massive fan of his music and his other holiday cartoon specials from the 90s. One example is Snuffy: The Elf Who Saved Christmas. Luckily, someone uploaded it onto YouTube for all to watch, so I have been able to enjoy this obscure (but wonderful) holiday cartoon. Not only does this holiday special have fun and catchy songs, but it has a really important message about having something to offer at every stage of life. This cartoon has it all: music, a message, and Bobby Goldsboro. 


The Tangerine Bear. This obscure Christmas cartoon is one that I am shocked to only have discovered recently. It was suggested to me on Tubi (a free streaming service) because I watch anything and everything Christmas related. This cartoon is from 1999 and the tangerine bear is voiced by one of my first loves...Jonathan Taylor Thomas. How this movie escaped me for so many years is a true mystery! At least it is in my life now. The first time I watched it, all of those beautiful Christmas feelings came flooding back, and I immediately ordered a DVD copy of The Tangerine Bear. It's a story about a bear in a factory who had his smile sewn on upside down. Beyond that, it's about about accepting who you are and spending the holidays with found family. 


Cranberry Christmas. Christmaaaaaas is just around the corner.....the Barry Manilow song included in Cranberry Christmas is constantly playing in my head. Like all the time. At least once a day. I stumbled on the Cranberry Christmas cartoon, oddly enough made by Ocean Spray Cranberries, this past summer. (Because of course I was searching for random Christmas cartoons in the middle of summer. It's just how I am.) This cartoon is about a feud over the ownership of a cranberry bog and ultimately is about setting aside differences at Christmas. This cartoon apparently came out in 2008 and there is a book as well, but for me, the Barry Manilow song is definitely the highlight. It gets stuck in your head in the best possible way. 

We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Next on the list is a Christmas cartoon from 1999 called, We Wish You a Merry Christmas. I found this one on Tubi and then purchased a DVD set with two other cartoons, Jingle Bells and O Christmas Tree...also excellent and worth watching. We Wish You a Merry Christmas is a fictional story about how the iconic Christmas song was written. It also brought together a town in a wonderful new way. This cartoon was sweet, earnest, and reminded the audience that there is often more to people than we realize. Bonus: there is an impressive cast, including Lacey Chabert and E.G. Daily. 

Santa Claus' First Christmas. Now for the last entry in this list of obscure Christmas cartoons. (For this year, at least. I am sure there will be more obscure Christmas themed posts in the years to come.) Santa Claus' First Christmas is a cartoon that I found on a YouTube channel dedicated to holiday themed uploads, though the name of the cartoon was listed incorrectly. This cartoon includes songs by Bing Crosby, which is always a good idea, and is all about how Santa became the celebrated icon he is today. I always love a good origin story, so this obscure cartoon checked off all the boxes. It was sweet, interesting, and had enough action to move the story along. All in all, it has added to the wonder of the season and has become a fast favourite. 

Have you seen any of these obscure Christmas cartoons? Which one will you add to your watch list?

10 comments:

  1. I don't know many of them but thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove holiday specials!
    Even I didn't know any of these, its always fun to see how many of them are around!^^
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many! It's always fun to discover new ones.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know any of these, so thank you for sharing, Shannon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing I am always looking for new Christmas movies and shows to watch. These look really fun and heart warming. There is a movie from 1940 called Beyond Tomorrow. It is about three wealthy bachelors who take in tenants and become friends with them, there are ghosts involved. It is good you should check it out.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you so so much for the recommendation! I was able to find the movie, so I'm going to watch it tonight. You're the best!

      Delete
  5. Bom sábado e um excelente final de semana. Acho que aqui no Brasil, nunca passaram esses filmes. Obrigado pela dica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable! I continue to find random things online, thankfully!

      Delete