Monday, May 20, 2024

beauty bookshelf: clementine ford

It has been many years since the last beauty bookshelf post here on the creation of beauty is art. At that time, this series was described as being focused on beauty-related reads. There were some posts on personal styling and hair style books. And then....I stopped writing beauty bookshelf posts. Truth be told, there was some uncertainty about what to write about as my view of beauty continued to broaden. Should I still focus on makeup, hair, and fashion related reads? Or was it okay to embrace some other aspects of beauty? After taking some time to think it over, a decision has been made, and all beauty related content will be included. Even if it doesn't quite fit into the traditional definition of beauty. To kick off the next generation of beauty bookshelf...this post is a spotlight on an incredible writer, Clementine Ford. She is an outspoken activist and feminist. 

On my phone, there is a list that I add to every now and then. Whenever I hear about an interesting book...it is added to the list. The goal is then to see if the book is at the library or if I can find it to purchase it for my (always growing) book collection. Clementine Ford has been on my list for the last year or so. I started following her on Instagram because of her excellent takes on popular culture, world issues, and feminism. I often found myself looking forward to whatever she would share on social media. Of course, her books were added to my list. Eventually, I treated myself to "Fight Like a Girl," "Boys Will Be Boys," and "How We Love." Clementine has a new book as well, "I Don't," but it is not currently available to purchase in my country. Hopefully soon! Until then...it is time to discuss the first three books from this outspoken, passionate, and brilliant writer. 

Fight Like a Girl. The first book from Clementine Ford is "Fight Like a Girl," which is described as an essential manifesto for feminists, new, old, and soon-to-be. There is no better description. The book is deeply personal and yet so many readers will be able to see themselves in the experiences shared. It talks about body image, social pressures, the desire to be accepted by others, not-like-other-girls syndrome, and the pain of living in a patriarchal society. It also talks about what feminists and outspoken women will experience online and offline. So much of it resonated with me. I fairly regularly receive messages and comments on social media calling me various misogynistic slurs. Threatening me. Harassing me. Apparently, that is what people in our society do when you stand with survivors of abuse and push back against the status quo. "Fight Like a Girl" highlights this phenomenon and shares practical advice to deal with the pain that is often associated with using your voice.

Boys Will Be Boys. The second Clementine Ford book in this beauty bookshelf post is "Boys Will Be Boys: Power, Patriarchy, and Toxic Masculinity." It talks about how the patriarchy is destructive for both men and women. It also discusses the ways traditional gender roles can negatively impact us all. Clementine writes passionately about rape culture, inequality, mental health, and the always frustrating "not all men" comments. This is a book that simply needs to be read. Especially in our current society. One quote to sum it all up? Rape is in the room. It has always been in the room. Until we fundamentally change the dynamics of gender inequality, misogyny, violence, and male entitlement, it will always be in the room. I love the way Clementine weaves statistical information, pop culture references, and personal experiences together to create a full and complete picture of what it means to live in a world that prioritizes the boys will be boys mentality. Something has to change. This book is a reminder to keep fighting for a better world. What could possibly be more beautiful than that? 

How We Love. The last book is slightly different than the first two. While those are very clear feminist manifestos, "How We Love," is a memoir focused on love and meaningful personal relationships. Clementine talks about her relationship with her mother and that devastating loss. She speaks about different romantic relationships and the love she has for her son. It is a powerful, beautiful, and deeply personal book that highlights how important love of all kinds is as we fumble our way through life. It is a reminder to love fully and deeply - and to learn from both the good and the inevitable disappointments. 

In the past, beauty bookshelf has been focused on hair, makeup, and fashion. Those things still matter to me. However, being authentically yourself, fighting for a better world, and highlighting injustice is also beautiful. So, while some beauty bookshelf posts might be a little more traditional in nature, there will also be ones that embrace my broader view of beauty. Like Clementine Ford, who is an outspoken activist using her voice to make the world better. Now that is what I call beautiful. 

Have you read anything from Clementine Ford? What is your favourite beauty-related book?

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the introduction to Clementine Ford. I'll be on the lookout for her books! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this author but sounds interesting!
    I'd love to read one of her books!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently looking for the Fight Like A Girl now, great picks!

    ReplyDelete