Monday, March 25, 2024

disney theme week: walt disney world vacation highlights


Though my vacation to Walt Disney World ended a few weeks ago...it is only now that I have been able to sit down and write about the experience. (Trying to catch up on life after a vacation is no joke.) Walt Disney World is my happy place. Though I have visited Disneyland and Disneyland Paris in the past, Walt Disney World is my favourite place on earth. It has a special kind of magic. Maybe I just like being in the Disney bubble, hidden away from all of the hurts and fears in the world. Or maybe it has to do with the four theme parks there are to explore. Whatever the reason, it is clear that Walt Disney World brings me joy. There are Mickey Mouse shaped waffles for breakfast, Mickey Mouse shaped pretzels to snack on, and well, Mickey Mouse shaped everything! To start this Disney theme week off on the right foot, here are some vacation highlights from the getaway...


Day One. The first day was a travel day. It all started very early in the morning when my family members met at the airport ahead of our flight. (We met my parents in Florida, as they had been on a cruise beforehand.) It all went fairly well, though I am extremely anxious when it comes to flying. I was relieved when we were safe and sound in Orlando. From the airport, we took a shuttle bus to the All Star Movies Resort on Walt Disney World property. We tried to figure out our Magic Band situation, quickly checked into our hotel rooms, and then headed out for dinner at the Rainforest Cafe just outside of the Animal Kingdom park. The food there is always really good. After that, we all split off, with some heading back to the hotel and some heading to Disney Springs to do a bit of shopping. (I chose shopping.) Then we returned to the hotel for the night. 


Day Two. Our first official park day was spent at Animal Kingdom. This is always one of my favourite vacation days, because there is so much to see and do. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do everything we wanted. This was partly because of the weather (it rained off and on throughout the day) and partly because there was such a large group of people (there were eight family members in total, including one young child. As a childfree person, I was not prepared for the amount of bathroom breaks necessary). On the plus side, we were able to meet a couple of characters, spend time in the Pandora section, go on some rides, and even attend an animation class. We weren't able to do a lot of the walking trails, sadly, because those closed several hours before the park. I had a good time, but would have loved an extra day at Animal Kingdom to explore. 


Day Three. The next park day was spent at Hollywood Studios. We tried to make the most of the early access for resort guests, but cut it a bit close, and wound up separated from some of our party. Sigh. Ahh well, it turned out alright in the end. We went to Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway first. This ride is a new one for us, since it went in after the last family vacation to Walt Disney World. Everyone absolutely loved it. Definitely a highlight of the vacation! We also walked around different parts of the park (my husband loves the Star Wars area) and had lunch at my favourite restaurant, PizzeRizzo. Why do I love PizzeRizzo so much? It is a Muppet themed restaurant. As a Muppet enthusiast, the restaurant, fountain, and Muppet 3D movie make Hollywood Studios stand out. We also went to a Beauty and the Beast live show and had a (not great) dinner at a Toy Story themed barbecue restaurant. After that, my brother and I, because we stayed behind to ride Slinky Dog Dash. 


Day Four. Next up....Epcot. This is a park that can normally be done in one day. However, a lot has  been added here since our last visit. We actually needed more than a day, but it was not to be. (So much Disney to experience and not enough time.) One of the highlights was the Moana Journey of Water section. Moana is a serious obsession of mine. I have watched that movie hundreds and hundreds of times. I cannot get enough. It is such a comfort to me! To be able to see Te Fiti (pictured above) was a total dream come true. Other highlights from the day: going on the amazing Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster, all of the topiaries and Orange Bird merchandise everywhere, meeting Figment, and a character dinner at the Garden Grill. 


Day Five. The day started very early for myself, my brother, and my husband. It was Magic Kingdom day (hurrah) and we planned to beat the crowds. We made the most of the early access and were able to get on the Haunted Mansion ride fairly quickly as well as Big Thunder Mountain. The rest of the family made it to the park a little later and we were able to see a show at the castle, check out some Fantasy Land rides, and have lunch at the Be Our Guest restaurant. (Try the grey stuff...it really is delicious!) It was mostly a good day, though I went on the Tron rollercoaster for the first time, and was absolutely miserable. I hated it! I was so scared. Almost immediately after the rollercoaster started to move forward, I regretted my decision. It is not something that I am brave enough to go back on again...but I survived. At the end of the night, we watched fireworks, and then did some shopping on Main Street. Magic Kingdom is always my favourite place to visit in Walt Disney World. 


Day Six. Next was the last day at Hollywood Studios. We usually allow two days for this park, though we didn't really need that much there this time. (Some of the rides were closed. Sigh!) My mom, dad, and I waited in a very long line to meet Mickey and Minnie, we saw the Indiana Jones show, went to the Frozen sing-a-long, had a Mickey shaped pretzel, re-rode Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, went back on Muppet 3D, and spent a little more time in Toy Story Land. My husband and I also walked around the Star Wars area. For dinner, it was a family favourite, the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant. 


Day Seven. All good things must come to an end. This was our last day at the parks, so of course, it was spent at the iconic Magic Kingdom. We did our best to make the most of the day. There were some re-rides, some more items checked off the to-do list, and some tearful goodbyes. We were able to watch the parade, check out the Jungle Cruise ride, visit the Enchanted Tiki Room (where I found a piece of free art outside! More on that in a future post....), and ride one of my favourites, Peter Pan's Flight. We ate dinner at a quick service restaurant themed after Pinocchio and then did last minute shopping on Main Street. I didn't want to leave the Magic Kingdom and I didn't want to leave Disney, but alas, it was all over.

Day Eight. The travel day home was a lot. Our flight was delayed several hours, but our shuttle bus reservation stayed the same. It meant we had to head to the airport anyway, but were unable to check in our luggage for several hours. The time of our flight changed multiple times, so it was quite frustrating not knowing when (or if) the plane would leave. A lot of other flights were being cancelled, so there was a lot of uncertainty. Since I am already such a nervous flyer, this was an especially stressful situation. How did I deal with it? Shopping, of course. The Orlando airport has all sorts of stores, so I grabbed a few little extras and even bought a Kylie Cosmetics eyeshadow palette from a Kylie Cosmetics vending machine. (Most expensive vending machine purchase ever!) Eventually, we made it home, absolutely exhausted. And that was the trip! 

There were a lot of wonderful moments in Walt Disney World. Though it was a lot trying to make sure eight different people were happy and organized...there were some special memories created. This is a vacation that I will remember for many years.

Have you done any travelling lately? Are you a Disney fan? 

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful, the photos are amazing. I love the Disney castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, so lucky!!! I would love to visit Walt Disney World too!!!
    I went to Disneyland Paris many times (since its like less than 1 hour and an half flight from here), but I've always tought that USA parks are on another level!
    Loved to read your tralve journal!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to visit in the future! It's wonderful that you've been able to visit Disneyland Paris lots of times. I went once and it was so much fun!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a fantastic vacation, Shannon! Thank you so much for sharing its highlights. And you're so right: catching up with life after a vacation is no mean feat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes the Minions cake was so nice, I loved the design and the taste.
    Yes can't wait for it, will be a nice Gamescom again <3

    Great post =) I want to visit Walt Disney World too, I only now Disneyland Paris :D And it's super cute there.
    Your days sounds really nice, with much fun and great adventures. A Mupped themed restaurant sounds so good, I loved them in my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disneyland Paris is so fun! I hope you're able to visit Walt Disney World in the future! :D

      Delete
  5. Despite not loving all the rides and it being a pain to fly back home it sounds like an otherwise wonderful trip! I would love to spend so much time at Disney, when we went to Disneyland Paris a few years ago it was just for 2 days and I really wish we had gone for longer, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really great overall! Two days is never enough at a Disney park, but I'm glad you were able to go and enjoy :D

      Delete
  6. So awesome to read about y our Disney vacay, Shannon..except for the flight home:( Anyhoo....Epcot was my fave when we went there (because of Mitsukoshi hahaha) and that's great to read that they've added more stuff in. My daughter loves Moana so if we do ever go back....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Epcot has a lot going on these days! Your daughter would definitely love the Moana section!

      Delete
  7. Da möchte ich auch unbedingt mal noch hin. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go back there too :)

    https://brigittapasztor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jak wspaniale to wygląda! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete