Tuesday, February 16, 2021

current favourites for mindfulness and self care

Life these days can be stressful. There are so many unknowns. There is so much uncertainty. No wonder the world of self care has become more noteworthy than ever before. On the plus side, resources are absolutely everywhere. From books to apps to streaming services and everything in between. It has never been easier to look within. Need a few suggestions? Or a solid jumping off point? Here are a few of my current favourites for mindfulness. 

First thing is first. Just what is mindfulness? It is all about being present and aware of your thoughts, feelings, emotions, and surroundings. Mindfulness can be practiced in many different ways. It all depends on what works for you. Remember, this may change from one day to the next. For instance, one morning, a 10-minute meditation might make you feel calmer and more relaxed. Another morning, reading might relieve your anxiety. Trust your instincts and choose wisely. 

Netflix: Headspace Guide to Meditation. For some people, meditation comes easily. Others? Not so much. I definitely fall into the latter category. Though I've read extensively about the benefits of meditation, quieting my mind always feels like an impossible task. Imagine my delight when the Headspace Guide to Meditation popped up on my Netflix recommended list. This series tackles a number of different topics and includes guided meditations. It is a wonderful resource for beginners and those that struggle to fully commit to the practice. 

The Mindfulness Journal: 52 Week Planner. Last year, someone gave me The Mindfulness Journal: 52 Week Planner for Christmas. It became a really important part of my daily life. And that continues this year as well with the planner for 2021. Essentially, this is a daily planner with small sections where you journal about your day (it takes 1-2 minutes). There is also a section to rate your day based on mood and keep track of short-term goals for the week. Mixed in are colouring pages, journal prompts, and exercises. Don't have this specific planner? Not a problem. You can create your own with a blank notebook. Just take a minute or two each day to write down what happened. It is a great way to connect and reflect.

Mindful Social Media Accounts. We often hear about the downsides related to social media...but it doesn't have to be a place for comparison and negativity. Be thoughtful of the accounts you follow. There are many social media accounts that share daily affirmations, journal prompts, mindfulness suggestions, breathing techniques, and more. Curate your Instagram feed (or Twitter or Facebook) to boost your mood and keep you focused on living a more mindful life. Some of my personal favourites are Louise Hay Affirmations and My Self Love Supply. Find ones that make you breathe easier.

Brene Brown: The Gifts of Imperfection. In all honesty, I love a good self help book. They have a way of making you feel better and make it possible to focus on positive change. When it comes to books for mindfulness and self care...there are many different options. In fact, you may have one or two on your bookshelf already! Reach for one whenever you need it. My current favourite is called, The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. It is all about recognizing shame, working through those emotions, and letting go of who you think you are supposed to be. Brene Brown has a lot of wonderful books. As a shame researcher, her work is science-based but also involves real-life application. 

What are your current favourites for mindfulness and self care? Share your recommendations!

14 comments:

  1. I find it so hard to shut off! Sometimes I wish I could switch off! I will need to research this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely takes practice. (Something I am continuing to work on!)

      Delete
  2. Thank you =) You're right, I love NYX so much, they have so many nice products. Especially the lip products are insane *-*

    Great post about self care =) Self care is really important. You're so right with that mindful social media accounts. At the beginning I followed everyone but now I just follow people who inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a wonderful approach! It is definitely important to follow people that inspire you :)

      Delete
  3. These are such great resources, Shannon:) Thank you for sharing. I'm a big fan of mindfulness journals, and actually use my bullet journal for this type of thing. Thanks for the heads up about that Netflix show. Will check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing. I love that you are able to use your bullet journal for mindfulness. <3

      Delete
  4. Great post :)
    „Zapraszam także do siebie na nowy post - KLIK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boa tarde a foto ficou maravilhosa, parabéns pelo texto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meditation helps me in these difficult days.

    ReplyDelete