Tuesday, August 23, 2011

it is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by.


I remember when I knew I wanted to be a writer. I was eleven, maybe twelve. Though I had always liked writing things - songs, poems, and short stories, this time was different.

My mom had an old electric typewriter she kept in the basement. One weekend in the middle of summer, I got my dad to drag it upstairs. We had a computer, but there was something special about writing on that typewriter. It was as if the angry buzzing from the machine and the way it vibrated against the table, made my words stronger.

I remember sitting in the dining room, the machine whirring with energy, and the sound of the keys snapping to life with each word I wrote. The door was closed - solitude. It was just me, that typewriter, and the story I yearned to tell.

I spent the entire day locked in that room. My fingers barely paused until I had finished writing my story. Once I did, I was consumed by emotion - a combination of immense satisfaction and the pure joy of the writing process. My life has not been the same since.

Like a lot of children, I wanted to be a basketball player or a ballerina when I grew up. Until the day I spent locked in the dining room writing about a princess and magical locket, when I discovered that I was meant to be a writer.

All of these years later, I am still reaching for the same goal. Some days it feels further than ever. But other days, days like today, I remember being that little girl with the big dream, and I see how far I have come.

10 comments:

  1. Love the way you express yourself! And really appreciate your comments!
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a writer too! I am doing a bachelor of arts (media and communications)! :)

    sharpest-lives@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. really lovely post and you're such a great writer in the ways you engage the reader! i get the same feeling only about being a fashion designer!

    http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome, lucylu! :D

    And thank you so much Kimberly! I love that you get the same feeling about what you love. It's what keeps you going when you get discouraged, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never give up on your dreams :) Keep writing, u already have us as ur fans now :)

    xx
    Erika
    http://www.erika-t.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many different goals that one goes along the proposed path when you think you are understanding is barely beginning to know.

    Sakuranko Blog
    My Facebook Page Fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful story. I love when you get that feeling that you KNOW what you want to do and just feel so at peace with yourself. (i'm still at the stage of having my book in my head except for about one chapter....) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty!

    www.romiromiya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jade - I know what you mean about that one! It's tough trying to get your book from your head to paper and get it RIGHT. Time will fix that, I guess!

    ReplyDelete