Thursday, November 2, 2023

taylor swift (the eras tour concert movie experience + outfit)


Time won't fly. It's like I'm paralyzed by it. I'd like to be my old self again, but I'm still trying to find it. Taylor Swift is more popular than ever, with millions of adoring fans around the world, a sold-out tour, and a new concert movie raking in more than $130 million dollars in the early weeks of its release. As a long time fan, it is exciting and somewhat strange to see her popularity continue to soar. Each time I think things can't get any bigger...they do. Recently, my oldest friend took me to see the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour concert movie at our local theater to celebrate my birthday and our mutual love of Taylor Swift. We both decided to dress in different "eras" inspired outfits to make the most of the occasion since we were unable to snag tickets to her shows in Toronto. (We tried!) So, this post is all about the outfit, the makeup, and the overall movie experience. 


The Outfit and Makeup. As I mentioned, my friend and I decided to dress in the style of a specific era. (Quite frankly, we assumed everyone else would do this as well, and were shocked to see a sea of beige sweatpants at the movie theatre instead of Taylor Swift inspired ensembles.) She went with the Reputation era and I went with a country inspired era. It was somewhere between the self-titled and Fearless era! I bought a flowy dress with puffy sleeves and ruffles and did my best to bring a little 00s country style into the mix with a pair of cowgirl boots, a sparkly headband, brown woven belt, and over the top earrings. I also wore the gold heart-shaped locket that my friend gifted me during a random shopping mall trip. (We decided to be nostalgic and get matching friendship necklaces.) As for the makeup, since this era was fully in the 00s, it was lots and lots of sparkly cool toned shadows and heavy blush. I couldn't quite manage the tight curls Taylor was known for back then, but I made an attempt to curl my hair at any rate! All in all, the look was fun and inspired by old-school Taylor Swift.

The Theatre Experience. Even though other people watching the movie did not dress up in an era inspired outfit (boo) the theatre itself did a lot to make the event fun. When you came in, there was a movie poster and fabulous balloon display. I've never seen anything like that at our local theatre before, so it was really exciting. My friend bought me a Taylor Swift popcorn bucket (it is super cute and has pictures of Taylor from the different eras. It also held a ton of popcorn) but she was disappointed that the Taylor Swift cups were all sold out. I really liked that the theatre made sure it felt like a fun and special concert event, with themed popcorn buckets, balloon walls, and all the rest. It made for a memorable night at the movies. 


The Concert Movie. Now, it is time to talk about the actual Eras Tour movie. The crowd was a bit wild throughout (dancing in front of the screen and singing at full volume) but it was a fun experience overall. It was really fun to be able to experience a concert that I was sadly unable to get tickets to see in person. There were a lot of amazing costumes, sets, dancers, and some of my favourite songs. I especially loved the Folklore and Evermore sections of the film. However, it was disappointing that there was only one song from Speak Now. That album has such a special place in my heart, so it was a real letdown that it received so little love and attention. Personally, I think the same number of songs should have been played from each album. I'm sure this has to do with where she is in the re-release process with her music, but still, for an eras tour, it was frustrating that some eras were heavily featured and some almost entirely ignored. Overall, it was a fun night (but a long night since the concert movie was about three hours) and it was wonderful to see a Taylor Swift concert on the big screen. 

Have you seen the Taylor Swift concert movie yet? What was your experience like?

8 comments:

  1. I loved your dress and makeup, thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you dressed up for this! We had the movie here and while I'm not really a huge fan of Taylor I do like some of her songs and it was great to see how some of my friends and their daughters got all dressed up to enjoy the experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like that people are having fun with it and are making it a movie event :D

      Delete
  3. Whether inspired by Taylor Swift or not, your outfit is absolutely fabulous. Well done to you and your fried for dressing up. What a shame the other people didn't! Also loving the display in the theatre's foyer. I don't know all that much about Taylor Swift, but I'm sure that, as a long-time fan, it was amazing seeing her on the big screen! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I rarely dress up anymore (since the pandemic, my style has become more sweatpant than anything else) so it was fun to do. <3

      Delete