Monday, October 2, 2023

theme week: 2000s (my favourite y2k trends)


It is time for another theme week here on the creation of beauty is art. This time? It is all about the 2000s. Yes, it is time to focus on Y2K fashion, makeup, and pop culture. This is certainly a time that makes me nostalgic, though I confess that it is a bit odd to me that young people today are obsessed with the styles that were part of my teenage years. That being said, it is nice to find cute 00s inspired pieces whenever I am out and about. It was certainly a time of bold fashion....which is why the first themed post this week is dedicated to some of my favourite Y2K trends. See if any of your favourites are on the list. 


Scarves, Scarves, and More Scarves. One 00s trend that makes me nostalgic in the best possible way? Scarves. It was oh-so-common to throw on a scarf to complete an outfit...even when the weather outside was warm. Skinny scarves? Yes. Sheer scarves? Of course. Sparkly scarves? You know it. This trend was so unnecessary that I kind of love it. That really sums up 2000s fashion for me: a bit odd, a bit unnecessary, but completely fabulous. I always felt extra confident when a scarf was added onto my outfit. Something similar that also had a grip on me? Avril Lavigne inspired ties. It was all about those add ons. 


Bedazzled and Embellished Denim. I like a little sparkle and shine. No wonder I was totally addicted to embellished denim in the 2000s. Many of my jeans were bedazzled on the pockets or along the bottom. There was always something that made the jeans stand out. I'll be honest...I would still rock a cute pair of glitzy 00s jeans, but I haven't seen anything out in the wild that strikes my fancy. Who knows? Maybe I will find something in the future. At any rate, this was one fun fashion trend. 


Bandanas. Oh, bandanas. They were the ultimate must in the 00s. They could be worn as a headband, covering the hair, on the wrist, or even worn as a shirt. It was an interesting time in fashion, that is for sure. Back in the 00s, I had a bunch of different bandanas that were cut in a triangular shape with ties on either side. It made it so much easier to create the look and make sure it stayed put all day. I used to wear them often. Confession: I actually found two of them while digging around my parents basement. I took them home with me because they made me feel wonderfully nostalgic. One is a blue bandana with little flowers and the other is a snakeskin style print. Definitely very of the time...but oh how I loved that fashion trend. As you can probably gather from this list so far, if Mary Kate and Ashley wore it, then it was a style worth adding to my wardrobe. 


Juicy Couture Tracksuits. Every celebrity in the 2000s rocked a Juicy Couture tracksuit at least once. These were the hottest style for a while. The tracksuits came in a bunch of different colours and some even had embellishments. I will be honest...even after these tracksuits stopped being popular, cool, trendy, whatever you want to call it...my closet continued to house several tracksuits in different colours and styles. I still wore them at home and whenever I flew somewhere. Imagine my delight when this 00s trend came back into style. I was on trend, totally dated, and somehow have come back around to being on trend. That is why I just focus on wearing what I like instead of what is popular at any given time. It all comes back around anyway. 

What do you think of these Y2K trends? Which 2000s styles were (or are) your favourites?

8 comments:

  1. Bandanas are my favorite, thanks for your sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Such a great throwback trend! Thank you for stopping by <3

      Delete
  2. Oh em gee! The Juicy Couture track suit!!! I had the pink hoodie with the shorts, but did have the off-brand "knock offs''' hahaha:D And as a big fan to this day of the Olsen twins, I will always love whatever trend they start:)
    Hope you're having a great start to the week, Shannon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I love that! I definitely had a few knock off versions as well!

      Delete
  3. I do think it's mind boggling that the YK2 fashions are actually considered "vintage" now. I does feel so recent for me, possibly because the older I get the faster time seems to flash by. I do understand the nostalgia factor for you. It'll be the equivalent of me and 1970s fashion! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I can't really wrap my head around it fully! It is definitely nostalgic <3

      Delete
  4. Thank you, it's really annoying that I'm sick again :D Thanks, we will have a great time.
    Thank you, I love my new shoes too <3 =)

    Great post with a nice theme =) I loved the 2000s so much, it was such a great time with so good music and I liked the style a lot <3 Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were my favourites at this time <3 :D

    ReplyDelete