Sunday, October 8, 2023

theme week: 2000s (iconic 00s music, movies, and television shows)

There was a lot to love about the 2000s when it came to media. Looking back, there was some seriously incredible music that came out at that time, not to mention movies and television shows. No wonder many of my favourites seem to be from that era. For the last 2000s theme week post here on the creation of beauty is art. it only seemed right to honour some of those releases. Keep reading for some of my personal favourites as well as some other iconic highlights from the decade. 


Iconic 2000s Music. Music in the 2000s was certainly varied, though my preferences were largely focused on pop music with a bit of R&B thrown in. (I also had a serious obsession with emo music in the 00s. I still do!) Artists like Britney Spears, O-Town, NSYNC, Lady Gaga, Destiny's Child, Lifehouse, Hanson, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, Goo Goo Dolls, Nelly Furtado, Hilary Duff, Avril Lavigne, and many others ruled the charts. There was a lot of fabulous music to choose from at that time, whether you were into singer-songwriters, soft rock, dance pop, R&B, rock, or anything else for that matter. I loved that the 2000s had a lot of variety. There really was something for everyone. To this day, many of the albums in heavy rotation in my collection come from that decade. It was certainly a formative time for me, since music became my obsession and my escape. I was also in love with a lot of British pop music in the 00s (and still am) so a lot of those bands and solo artists are high on my list of loves as well. I'm talking S Club 7, Busted, McFly, Blue, Robbie Williams, Daniel Bedingfield, and Atomic Kitten. 

Must Watch 2000s Movies. How often do I watch movies from the 2000s? Regularly. There is something so special about a lot of the movies from this time. Though what appeals to me might not appeal to everyone, the teen movies and rom-coms were definitely the standouts in my opinion. I'm talking about beloved movies like Mean Girls, Legally Blonde, Bring It On, The Princess Diaries, 13 Going on 30, What a Girl Wants (my obsession with Oliver James was real), The House Bunny, Juno, She's The Man, and many, many others. The movies at that time were a lot of fun. Many of them continue to be my comfort movies and I reach for them over and over again. Need a pick me up? No one is better than Elle Woods. Need to laugh? An Amanda Bynes movie is a must. Looking for a little romance? Something with Julia Roberts will check off all the boxes. 

Memorable 2000s TV Shows. There are a ton of television shows from the 2000s that I love. Many of them are on my DVD shelf. Some I am rewatching on streaming. And some, I am able to rewatch on YouTube and other such websites. Though there was a lot of excellent TV during that time, some of my favourites include American Dreams, The OC, Gossip Girl, Smallville, 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, Everwood, Young Americans, Hidden Palms, Lizzie McGuire, Veronica Mars, and Malcolm In the Middle. I'm positive there are lots of shows that I am missing, but those are some of the ones that immediately came to mind. Television, much like music and movies, was an escape for me when I was a bit younger. I didn't necessarily have an easy time being social...so it was nice to have media as a way to feel safe, happy, and inspired. To be honest, it still is. 

I hope you enjoyed all of the 2000s themed posts here on the creation of beauty is art. this past week. It has been a lot of fun to reminisce, share some of my favourites, and review some themed makeup items. It is nice to look back every now and then.

What did you like to listen to and watch during the 2000s? Is there anything listed here that you enjoy now?

6 comments:

  1. I missed 2000's movie, drama ... Thanks for your sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There was a lot to love about the music and movies back then!

      Delete
  2. I do get the nostalgia factor for you in relation to the 2000s, I've got the same with the 1970s and 1980s, which were my formative years :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I have such an obsession with the 70s and 80s as well...I don't know why exactly, but I have always loved media, fashion, and makeup from different decades.

      Delete
  3. Oj działo się, fajne programy.

    ReplyDelete