Friday, July 14, 2023

what i've been watching lately (television shows and movies)

I have always loved television shows and movies. Like books, they were my escape from the world. I didn't have a lot friends growing up and was picked on a lot in school, so at the end of the day, there was something extra special about plopping down in front of the television set. I was free. Even now, all those years later, I feel the same way. Sitting in front of the television set to watch a show or a movie makes me feel safe. It is also my reward at the end of the day. There are a few different things that I have been watching lately. Want to know what they are? Here are some standout shows and movies...


Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. Though I am still working through my Baywatch and Smallville re-watches (I am trying to get better at finishing things instead of watching bits and pieces of everything)...the lure of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman was too much for me to resist. This is a series that my mom gifted me a few years ago and I have been watching it on and off ever since. I absolutely love this show. It is amazing to see such a strong female character in the lead and watch her adapt to a variety of unexpected situations. Plus, my childhood crush on Sully continues. I mean, the hair alone. Hopefully I will be able to watch even more of the show (and the movies) in the next little while. I still have a ways to go, but I am determined to finish.


Glamorous. If you have a Netflix subscription, be sure to add the new show, Glamorous, to your watch list. This has an amazing cast (including Kim Cattrall) and is about a makeup enthusiast who ends up working at a prestigious makeup company. It is kind of like a makeup version of Ugly Betty. There are office romances, business drama, and complicated love triangles. Not to mention amazing music and some cameos from famous drag queens like Priyanka and Monet X Change. There are ten episodes in total and this was something that I binge watched in a day. I just could not stop watching this addictive show.


Vegas Vacation. I love all of the Vacation movies. A lot. They were kind of a staple in our household...especially Vegas Vacation. My brother and I could not get enough. We would watch it whenever it played on television (which was often) and owned the DVD as well. Even though I don't live at home anymore, the movie still feels special to me, and I watch it when I am feeling down. Not only is the movie hilarious and my favourite of the various Vacation movies, but I always think of the inside jokes my brother and I have related to this movie. To this day, we quote it to each other often. An example? "I'd die for ya." 


Olive the Other Reindeer. Okay, so it is technically the middle of summer. Despite that, my mind is still dreaming about the holiday season. I genuinely love Christmas music, movies, and specials all year round. Recently, Olive the Other Reindeer has been a favourite. (It is always a favourite of mine, but the songs keep getting stuck in my head, and then I then I find myself wanting to watch again!) This is such a cheery and sweet movie. Plus, the animation style is really cool. I love the colours, the animation, the voice actors, and the music. It has managed to make this warm July feel wonderfully festive. 

Though there are other things that I have been watching lately (like Nancy Drew, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, and Sailor Moon)...these are a few of the most recent. Be sure to share what you have been watching in the comment section below! 

7 comments:

  1. I'm loving glamourous too!
    Didnìt know the other shows but definitely gonna look for them!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was such a good show! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

      Delete
  2. dazzling!
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid none of these shows are familiar to me, Shannon. Admittedly, I do not watch television all that much, and I don't have Netflix. That said, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman does appeal to me! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always out in the world doing lots of fun things! I love that about you. But yes, Dr. Quinn is SO good. I love it.

      Delete