Monday, January 27, 2020

love it or leave it? sarah hyland


Award season is fully upon us. These days, you don't have to wait long for over the top red carpet dresses and best dressed lists. It is a beautiful (and often inspiring) time for fashion lovers. Recently, the 26th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards or SAG awards took place in Los Angeles. It was definitely a who's-who of celebrities. One star that made a splash on the red carpet this year? Sarah Hyland. The "Modern Family" actress stepped out in a dramatic dress that has caused quite the stir. Is the dress good? Bad? Find out in the latest edition of love it or leave it?


What I Love: Despite this dress making plenty of worst dressed lists....there is a lot to love here. For starters, Sarah's hair, makeup, and accessories are absolute perfection. It is all subtle, simple, and yet still has plenty of glamour on offer. I especially love the elegant simplicity because it allows the dress to truly shine. There is nothing competing with the garment, which is a real benefit. I also love the colour story and the floral print as well as the dramatic shape of the dress. The bubble shape along with the V-neck, and long train make this dress a total showstopper. It has drama and it is a fun, unexpected red carpet look.

What I Loathe: While it is true there is a lot to love, I can also understand why this dress displeased so many people. I think the train is fun and bold (and looks really dramatic in a photograph) but the fabric itself doesn't seem to flow. So instead of looking like a really wonderful dramatic add on...it looks like a floral bed sheet got stuck to the back of her floral print dress. The fabric itself appears too stiff and stilted. Perhaps if another type of fabric was used instead, the train would've had a little more flow and a bit more ease.

Overall, this is a bit of a mixed bag for me. There are so many elements that I like and yet the outfit does not completely come together. In my opinion at least! I am definitely eager to hear what you all think of this divisive red carpet look.

What do you think? Love it or leave it?

18 comments:

  1. Oooh there are so many pretty elements for me too! I love the 50's vibes about it, like a kind of modern day 50's red carpet look! The hair and makeup are beautiful :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so pretty wearing whatever but I wouldn't have chosen this dress
    HAPPY WEEK
    xoxo
    https://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's got so many lovely elements but doesn't come together somehow.

      Delete
  3. thanks for the comment <3
    I think that she actually looks really cute :D

    www.pinkie-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I donno who she is :-| But I think the dress is pretty cool! Not ideal for everyday use haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is totally not my style but Sarah looks so freaking awesome in this. I think this is a love just because of that fact:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the dress is unique ahaha but the makeup is gorgeous for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally unique! I am a big fan of her makeup as well. It looks so clean and sophisticated.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, especially about her hair :)
    fiftyshadesfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I don't like the tail of the dress very much but she is so pretty that she can afford anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what doesn't work for me as well. The train doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the design. Thank you so much for weighing in!

      Delete