Wednesday, June 26, 2024

summer experiences: visiting canada's wonderland

It has been many years since I last visited Canada's Wonderland. And even more since I visited during the summer months. This theme park used to be an essential part of the season for my family. We often had season passes and would visit the park multiple times. Sometimes, even with extended family! I have so many wonderful memories of the way the theme park used to be, with Flintstones themed areas, restaurants, and a Smurfs cave. Things have certainly changed since then! The kids section is Snoopy themed now and there are all sorts of massive rollercoasters scattered throughout the park. My brother and I have been talking about visiting again for the last couple of years and finally we did it.  Here are some highlights from the day.


It all started early in the morning. There was a decent drive involved and the intention was to be there for when the park opened. We purchased Fast Line wristbands (which essentially allow you to skip the lines for a lot of the more popular rides) since we had not been to the park in ages. The idea was to get on as many rides as possible before the end of the day! So, we picked up our bands and went to The Bat first. From there, it was one ride after another and another. I do like rollercoasters, but I can't do all of the extreme ones that my brother likes. Canada's Wonderland has a lot of intense coasters that are very high with massive drops. I have done Behemoth in the past and absolutely hated it. My brother ended up going on that one alone as well as Leviathan. There was a newer coaster, Yukon Striker, but I wasn't brave enough for that one either. 


For the entire day, we went from one ride to another to another to another. We did take some breaks for food, but that's about it. Though I didn't go on every ride in the park, because of my fears, we were able to go on all of the rides we wanted at least once. It was definitely a successful day. Originally, it was supposed to rain for a few hours, but the weather ended up being sunny and bright. Out of all the rides, my favourites were The Bat, Flight Deck, Sledgehammer, and Thunder Run. 


The park closed at eight, but there were still restaurants and shops open after that. At the end of the night, my brother and I splurged on a giant funnel cake with ice cream and strawberries. We haven't had one in ages, but it used to be a family tradition when we visited Canada's Wonderland. We didn't manage to finish it, but what we did eat was delicious. Then we went to the different stores. My brother didn't find anything that he liked, but I found a couple of things. As seen in the last photo above, I bought a purple crew neck sweatshirt. The Ghoster Coaster was the first rollercoaster I ever went on. In fact, I have a polaroid photo that was purchased when I was a kid. It shows me and my dad on the rollercoaster. I was terrified! But it was such a special memory. So, when I saw the sweatshirt, it was a no brainer. It was the perfect amount of nostalgia for me. Canada's Wonderland also had these rollercoaster themed Squishmallows and I fell in love with The Fly one. So cute! 

Though it was an expensive day at Canada's Wonderland (things add up quick), it was also a really fun day. And long overdue! I love theme parks and it was nice to spend a whole day with my twin brother just going from ride to ride. 

Do you like going to theme parks? What plans do you have for the summer?

4 comments:

  1. Stunning photos. I never used to go to any theme parks until my daughter was born. She loves theme parks and loves the rides. I don't like the big rides! We don't really have any in Scotland but there are a good few in England, so we usually drive to them. The nearest is about 4.5 hours away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful that your daughter loves them! But wow, that is such a long way to visit one. It sure would take dedication to visit!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a fun day, with the added bonus of childhood nostalgia thrown in. I'm afraid that theme parks aren't really my thing, but I' definitely getting your enthusiasm! xxx

    ReplyDelete