Thursday, January 20, 2022

winter skin care week: how often should you exfoliate in winter?


There is no doubt about it: exfoliating is an absolute must. Especially in the winter. Depending on where you live, the winter season may be on the chilly side. When the temperatures start to drop, the humidity drops, too...which means there is less moisture in the air. The end result? Dry and flaky skin. While exfoliating is a good idea year-round, it is especially important during this time of year. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells, which not only makes your skin look better, but also ensures that your foundation applies with ease. For healthier and happier skin, exfoliation is essential. But how often should it be done? 

Well...it depends. The first thing to consider is your skin type. If you have dry skin (like me) or oily skin, exfoliating two to three times per week is best. You don't want to overdo it, because over exfoliation can lead to redness and irritation. How can you tell how much is too much? Pay attention to your skin! If you find that three times a week is causing your skin to look red and raw, switch to twice a week, or consider a less abrasive exfoliator. Those with sensitive skin should exfoliate once or twice per week. Start with once per week and then work up to twice a week, if you feel that it is needed. Just make sure that you are using a very gentle exfoliator if you have any skin sensitivity. Some of the exfoliants out there can be a little bit harsh, so be sure to choose an exfoliating product that is specifically geared towards sensitive skin. 

Don't forget the lips! In addition to exfoliating your skin, it is also important to exfoliate your lips, as needed. Something like the e.l.f. Lip Scrub will work well. Do you notice that your lips are flaking or rough? Use the exfoliating product once a week during the winter months and remember to apply a moisturizing balm regularly. Bonus points for using a lip mask before bed. Your lips will be nourished and comfortable all season long. 

When your skin is dry or flaky...don't just slather on more moisturizer. Be sure to exfoliate regularly! After all, exfoliants improve the effectiveness of all those moisturizing products. Once the dead skin cells have been removed, all of the other skin care products absorb better. That means more effective results day after day. Add this must-have step to your routine.

How often do you exfoliate? How do you keep your skin healthy in winter?

21 comments:

  1. Very good post. I follow your blog and leave a comment on the post. Follow back and leave comment on last post. Thank you! 
    https://sarapokorni.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exfoliate two or three times a week having it on the oily side. I find moisturizing so much easier if the skin is exfoliated. On the other hand I do think if I should go up one extra time on Sunday when I spend less time outside and heavy on skin care too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! The moisturizer settles into the skin much better, too!

      Delete
  3. Hello dear!
    I do peeling once a week. I know it's not enough, but I really don't have time for myself. I always do a small home spa on Sundays because I have a day off :) Lovely entry and very helpful!
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never exfoliated! Maybe I should start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a nice post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on exfoliating. I don't do it regularly though but hoping I will in the coming days :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not exfoliating at the moment, but I think I need to start doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely important to do! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  7. Yes this cream works really well =) You're absolutely right, it's so nice to have moisturising products for cold winter weather =)

    Really interesting post =) I also have dry skin in winter and it's so important to look what your skin needs in this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I think this idea is pretty nice. Our feet are working so much for us, so it's important to detox them =) I hope that too.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Taking good care of your skin in the colder months is a must.

      Delete
  8. Taking care of our skin in winter is so important!
    have a great weekend,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi dear! Thanks for the information. I use the face scrub once a week but in a very soft way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely makes sense! It is nice to have exfoliants that are not too abrasive.

      Delete
  10. I do it 1 time a week because my skin became red if I overdue.

    ReplyDelete