Wednesday, November 17, 2021

recent reads: biographies and fall themed books

Reading is such an important part of my life. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to make time for one of my favourite activities. Between work and that endless to-do list...reading often gets put on the backburner. Which is why my New Years Resolution for the last few years has been to read twenty fiction and twenty non-fiction books (the 20/20 challenge) per year. That goal helps me prioritize reading whenever possible. Though I am a little behind where I would like to be (I still have 9 books to read by the end of the year), it seemed like a good time to look at some of my more recent reads. 

Please Please Tell Me Now: The Duran Duran Story by Stephen Davis. The first book on this recent reads list is a rock biography about Duran Duran. I have been a fan of Duran Duran for a very long time (thanks to my Dad's records in the basement) and have been able to see them in concert twice. The book was really interesting and shared an in depth look at the creation of one of the best bands ever. The author really made you feel like you were experiencing the highs and lows. There was no detail left uncovered and it was fascinating to learn more about this iconic musical act. 

Wicked Witch Murder by Leslie Meier. It is no secret that I love a good murder mystery book. Cozy murder mysteries happen to be a favourite, which is why I love anything from Joanne Fluke and Leslie Meier. During the month of October, murder mysteries were high on my list of priorities, and I read the Wicked Witch Murder. I have read many books from Leslie Meier over the years, but this particular book was a little bit different. It still followed the same characters...but it was a little bit darker. I didn't mind one bit, though I was able to figure out whodunnit early on in the book. 

The Babysitter by R.L. Stine. Several months back, my mom was cleaning out the basement and came across some of my old books. Many of those books came home with me, including The Babysitter by R.L. Stine. I was all too ready for a little nostalgia and a lot of scares. I read the book quickly (it was not too long) but found myself really enjoying it. Even as an adult! It still had a lot of suspense and a lot of chills. The atmosphere was totally creepy. I couldn't remember who was responsible for all of the scary goings on, since it had been so long since I last read it. It was a nice horror-themed mystery to read before Halloween.

Murder In Season by Jessica Fletcher and Jon Land. You just can't beat the Murder She Wrote TV show or the Murder She Wrote books. They are fabulous and I love keeping up with the iconic character of Jessica Fletcher. (And I also think it is so fun that she is listed as one of the authors on all of the Murder She Wrote books.) This book is a Christmas themed murder mystery based on characters from the classic television show. I always love to read lots of holiday books at this time of year...and it was especially exciting to combine my love of Christmas with my love of murder mystery novels. 

What have you been reading lately? Share your recent favourites in the comment section below!

16 comments:

  1. I didnt know this books :) thanks for your sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I rarely read, I have to start reading more...
    Xoxo
    https://myheartaintabrain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i only know about the baby sitter only heheh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shannon for your lovely comment <3

    I love Murder She Wrote, the show, I'll need to check the book. Amazing Angela is still acting and doing so well :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Yes, the show is amazing and the books do a wonderful job of continuing the story <3

      Delete
  5. These sound like interesting books, although I haven't read any of them! I tend to like lighter reads and murder mysteries aren't my kind of thing!

    Hope that your week is going well and you have a nice weekend planned ahead :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god the DURAN DURAN's book???? I was a big Big big fan of them 😍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much =) I love the candles too, they smell so good =) And this sweater is so cosy and the puffed sleeves are so cute.

    Great post with nice books =) Last year I've seen the movie "The Babysitter", I think the book is the same story, or not? :D It was a really crazy movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a different one, but I saw the movie as well and really enjoyed it!

      Delete