Friday, May 19, 2023

drugstore review: elf big mood mascara

Every now and then, a mascara manages to tempt me. Though I am pretty loyal to The Super Sizer from Cover Girl (higher end favourites include Better Than Sex from Too Faced and They're Real from Benefit)....the Big Mood Mascara from elf managed to catch my eye. Maybe it had something to do with the shiny purple packaging. Who knows? But at any rate, this drugstore item was added to my cart. Lately, I have been putting this mascara to the test to find out whether it lives up to the brand claims. 


One look at the Big Mood Mascara and it is clear that this has simple - but fun - packaging. It has a metallic purple finish and an hourglass brush. The brush is very full and reminds me a lot of the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara brush. There is definitely a lot going for it in terms of the design choices...but what does the brand actually claim? According to elf, the Big Mood Mascara is a smudge-resistant volumizing mascara for bold lashes. It is cruelty free and vegan and elf states that the mascara plumps and lifts the lashes, has a long-lasting formula infused with jojoba oil, an hourglass shaped brush to separate and define the lashes, and a smudge-resistant formula. There are a few different colour options (green, blue, black, and brown). Since I love a dramatic lash look, the black mascara was a must. That being said, the green and blue mascaras are tempting.

There are an awful lot of brand claims...and it is time to find out whether those claims are actually accurate. In a word? Yes. This is one of those rare instances where every single claim the brand made is true. The mascara is volumizing, creates a bold look, plumps, lifts, and lasts all day without smudging. This is a seriously impressive product. It adds a ton of volume to the lashes but doesn't skimp on length either. Whenever I use this mascara, my lashes look so fluttery and full. One coat of the Big Mood Mascara is dramatic but not too over the top. Another coat creates an ultra dramatic look. Since I love lots of lashes, two coats is the ideal amount for me. As for the hourglass shaped brush, this works well, but it can make it a bit tricky to apply the product on the lower lashes. My advice? Be extra careful when applying this elf product to the lower lashes. 

The metallic purple packaging made the Big Mood Mascara from elf stand out on the shelves. Luckily, the product itself is just as impressive. It volumized, lasted all day, and created a bold lash look. This is definitely a standout at the drugstore. 

Have you tried the Big Mood Mascara from elf? What is your favourite drugstore mascara?

12 comments:

  1. Hello dear!
    Great review. I'm almost out of mascara. It's a pity that I didn't see it in my stores, because I would have tried it. He intrigued me. It looks great :)
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really nice. I didnt try it. Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess is great that the mascara produces the effect that offers
    I like the packaging I guess is cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect mascara! I've been having problems finding one that works for me ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been loving it! I hope you find one that works for you. It can be tough to find just the right product.

      Delete
  5. Oh WOW, you totally won me over, I am so going to try this if I can find it, and love the 70s retro packaging.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete