Saturday, May 30, 2020

how has your style changed?


How has your style changed? This is a question that has been on my mind a lot lately. See, I didn't even realize my sense of style had changed. Until one day when the idea popped into my head to go back and clean up some of my older blog posts. (Fixing formatting issues, removing broken links, that sort of thing. It ended up being a massive undertaking and I am nowhere near finished. But that is another topic altogether!) As I was looking through these posts from seven, eight, almost nine years ago....I was struck by how much my own personal style had changed since then.

There was one post in particular that made me pause. It was a tag of some sort, and I was answering random questions. One of those questions was: How Would You Describe Your Style in Three Words? The words I chose way back in the year 2012 were soft, classic, and feminine. Honestly, I nearly laughed at loud because that is not at all how I would describe my style today. But when I think back, I remember soft flowy blouses, peter pan collars, pearls, and skirts. Lots of skirts. At the time, I was all about that whole "English Rose" kind of vibe. Pieces that were feminine, soft, and classic. So those three descriptors worked out pretty well at the time.

Somewhere along the line...something changed. Sure, trends come and go but this was less of a shifting trends kind of change and more of a stepping into my own kind of change. During my teens, my style could be summed up in one word: baggy. I lived in baggy jeans and baggy band t-shirts. Then in my early and mid-twenties, it was all about that feminine vibe. Floral print, blouses, and the like. It was an intentional choice in some respects but also just what I seemed to gravitate to. But as time passed, the pieces that spoke to me were less soft and feminine. Instead, they were fun and exciting. They were whimsical and comforting. Think neon, textured materials, and a classic pair of blue jeans. My vibe became more hoodies and sparkly earrings than skirts and high heels.

I wanted to feel comfortable but I also wanted to express myself. That shift completely changed my aesthetic. Only I didn't realize it was happening bit by bit. Now, I can see that my style is completely different than it was back then. I prefer glitter or animal prints to simple women dresses and statement collars. These days, I would describe my style in three very different words. In 2012 it was soft, classic, and feminine. In 2020, it is comfortable, whimsical, and ever-changing.

How has your own style changed over the years? How would you describe it now?

17 comments:

  1. Detail in routine style 😊 I like the fact that fashion not only reflects our style in daily life but also provides convenience...so my favorite lace shirts and mom jeans 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! It is amazing what fashion can do. Great choice!

      Delete
  2. I love casual-chic style, comfy and elegant at same time!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm a lot more comfortable with my style now - and a lot more colourful! I don't think it's changed massively. It was always pretty casual even before kids, and while it is more casual now I don't think it's a huge change. comfort is always most important for me, haha!

    Hope you are having a great weekend :) We celebrated our wedding anniversary yesterday, just at home with takeaway but it was nice :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you play with colour. You are so great at that! Oh, how wonderful. I hope your anniversary was special, even if you were at home to celebrate it.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post my dear, thank you for sharing ) 

    https://elenabienvenido.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that my style has been evolving and changing through the years arriving to a point where now i feel super comfortable with it and i love it :) Also that happened because now i love myself even more!
    Kisses :)

    My blog - Lalabetterdayz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful to hear! I love that you are more comfortable with your own personal style. Loving yourself is definitely the best thing anyone can ever do :D

      Delete
  6. Hola.
    Es una publicación interesante.

    http://linesblood.blogspot.com/
    Nos leemos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adoro la gonna,proprio oggi indossavo una simile =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it is beautiful! Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I guess mine has. I am much more lazy these days :-O

    ReplyDelete